The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a recipe for a supplement hider that will hide about 4 tsp of tasteless powder yet maintain a shelf life so the barn owner can just add to feed without doing much else.

Ideas? I'm doubtful the applesauce idea will work.

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
Anise extract in the baking department of the grocery store - IF you can trust the BO to not use more than one drop, two drops maximum.

More won’t hurt the horse but it may ruin the taste.

Many supplement manufacturers use anise as a flavoring.

You could buy a small bottle with a dropper and label the bottle.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
I hide meds with karo syrup . About a tablespoon or less . It depends on if the meds are fine powder and easy to blend or coarser.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need something that isn't going to be too messy and not take a lot of time (for the sake of the BO). Like just dump the supplement in a grain bucket and go.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,128 Posts
What about getting some apple-flavoured horse cookies and pulverizing them with a coffee grinder, then putting them in little plastic cups with lids with the daily dose of supplement mixed in?

I buy the smallest, cheapest plastic food storage containers with lids, and do up my horse's AM and PM supplements in them so my BO just has to take the lid off and dump in the contents. I do up about a week's worth at a time, with my horse's supplements, her loose salt requirements, and her Previcox. Would be a lot for my BO to have to keep track of, so way easier for everyone involved!

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
If it really is tasteless, probably the easiest for the barn owner is to just have a small water bottle handy. If you have the supplement already mixed into a plastic baggie with a scoop of pellets (hay pellets, complete feed, or whatever your horse likes the taste of), then they can just empty the baggie into the feeder, sprinkle a little water on so the powder sticks and give it a swirl with their hand. This is what my barn owner does with my powdered amino acids. She opens my baggie into a small bucket and mixes with a small amount of water. Then the horses clean it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts