The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Not a nutrition expert but what are you looking to supplement?
Supplements are not necessarily event specific but more horse and environment specific.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They are absolutely event specific as well. You would give a horse that is doing dressage or barrels a joint supplement because that is what they use the most in their work.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
They are absolutely event specific as well. You would give a horse that is doing dressage or barrels a joint supplement because that is what they use the most in their work.
Actually you just proved my point, work is work and if the horse needs a joint supplement he needs a joint supplement regardless, whether it be Dressage, barrel racing, reining, western pleasure or trail rode.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
OP, it is quite expensive but I feed my barrel horse Platinum Performance CJ. The actual serving is two scoops, but I only feed one scoop a day which is actually okay'ed by my vet. On barrel racing days he does get his two scoops.

I've got my 3-year-old colt on T.H.E. Muscle Mass and it's a little bit more reasonable on price, although still spendy. T.H.E. also makes a joint additive but I haven't placed him on that yet.

I recently started my barrel horse on Adequan injections. Think about it --> What will get better absorbed into the joints? A powder that has to travel through the digestive system, or an intramuscular injection? Obviously, the injection is going to better penetrate into the body.

The loading dose on Adequan is fairly expensive, but once you get onto a maintenance schedule (once a month) it isn't so bad.

Supplements are not necessarily event specific but more horse and environment specific.
Eh, yes and no.

Do I want joint support for my barrel horses? Absolutely. Those turns are very hard on the hocks and stifles.

But what if I had a western pleasure horse? Are they as hard on their joints? I would say NOT, because they aren't making hard fast turns. They are doing most of their work on a straightaway. Do they need extra joint support? Is it worth the money for what I use them for? Maybe .... but probably not.

So I think there is a certain degree of "event specific" that goes into consideration. Although each individual horse will have their own specific needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.