Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I don't know much about this topic. I've tried doing research but can't seem to find concrete information.

About my horse’s work:
My horse is a 6YO QH mare who is primarily used for trails right now, the odd lesson too. In the future I am interested in getting involved with rodeo activities and gymkhana with her. Nothing serious though. She gets ridden in the arena (sometimes outside) about 4 times a week for 1hr - 1.5hrs throughout the winter and will be ridden probably 5-6 times a week in the summer on trails.

Question:
Do I need supplements? She has never been fed them so when I bought her I continued to not supply them. She is only being fed hay twice a day and if I were to start her on supplements she would not get them daily because my barn doesn't offer to feed them. She would get them whenever I go out to see/work her (4 times weekly give or take).

I am totally lost when it comes to this topic! Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks everyone :)

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I would save your money. If she is not being fed grain it means that she would have to have a feed to get the supplements into her.

As long as she has access to a mineral bucket then she will be fine without.

People think that feeding X Y or Z will make their horse better behaved, look better and so on when they are not doing a lot only emptying the owners pockets!

I have kept horses that are fed high hard feed rations because of the work they are doing, some did get supplements for a variety of reasons. Mostly it was something for older horses with a touch of arthritis. They all looked blooming in their coats, felt well and were fit. I do not believe a supplement would have heed them in any way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of how I was thinking, 'unnecessary'.
Thanks for your input :) She has salt and mineral blocks in the pasture so that's good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.