The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some supplements you guys feed your horses? Joint supplements or putting chia seeds in food? What do you feed and why do you feed it?

I currently don't have my two year old on any supplements. I always try to stick with cheaper supplements and only if they actually need it since I don't usually keep horses for too long. My last mare, I had her on a double dose of MSM, since she got rode pretty hard and I did a lot of different things with her. My older gelding I sold a while back had to be on Previcox in order to stay sound.

I'm just curious to hear what other people feed and the reasoning behind it!

·
Registered
392 Posts
My arab responded well to Springtime brands chondroitan sulfate for joints. He was too stiff and sore to ride without it. Other cheaper brands didn't work for him. My paso gets some treats with vitamins in them and of course they all have a mineral block salt lick. My kmh is at a different barn and they mix up a mash every night with vitamins and garlic to help keep flies away.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I give Minnie loose rock salt and Magnesium. The loose rock salt is to encourage water intake, as my BO had been noticing that her water level of her tank doesn't change nearly as much as it should. The Magnesium is to help take the edge off, as she is a very anxious, nervous horse.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Our endurance horses get Myo-Gard (vit E, selenium, vit C, mag) for muscle support, FasTrack for gut support, and fresh ground flax seed as a fat supplement during competition season. They also get garlic granules part of the year to help with the bugs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My kmh is at a different barn and they mix up a mash every night with vitamins and garlic to help keep flies away.
They also get garlic granules part of the year to help with the bugs.
Do you guys think the garlic seems to help with the bugs? I've always heard about it but never tried it!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only thing I give is amino acids and vitamin e, then pentosan IM for his joints. There's not enough convincing evidence that most supplements do anything, so I with the most efficacy.
I agree! I try to keep it as simple as possible. The amount of supplements some horses are on is insane!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I give mine Smartpak Smartcombo supplements. It is supposed to provide "ingredients for joint, hindgut, hoof & coat health." I feel like any ridden horse would probably do well with some joint supplement, hindgut is crucial, and of course "no hoof no horse." The coat thing is probably just a bonus, but when Pony shed his winter coat this year (he's been on the supplements regularly since late summer) his spring coat was blindingly shiny. He's just a really sleek, healthy, good-looking pony to begin with, though. Moonshine did not get as shiny, but her sparse mane seems to be filling in.

Also a ration balancer. Where I live we have high selenium and low iron in our soil, so I had to find one that had less selenium and more iron.

I bought flax to grind myself and put in their feed for the healthy fat, and I did that for maybe two weeks, but then I just kept forgetting.

Reactions: bayleysours

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Do you guys think the garlic seems to help with the bugs? I've always heard about it but never tried it!
I think it helps - which is not the same as saying no bug comes anywhere near them.

Two of our horses are particularly sensitive to biting gnats.. every year, they would wind up with open weepy places along their bellies and under their jaws. After trying fly masks and fly sheets and swat and every kind of spray known, I finally figured I had nothing to lose by trying the garlic. After a couple weeks, I noticed the open places were gone. Coincidence? Could be, but sure convinced me!

And I just went to Sam's Club and bought a big container of granulated garlic, as that was much cheaper than the garlic supplements with pictures of horses on the container. :Angel:

·
Registered
392 Posts

Yes it does help but you have to start them on it gradually so they get used to the taste. Then continue with the full recommended daily dosage though out fly season in order for it to be effective. We noticed a lot fewer flies at this barn compared to where our other horses are at and the flies didn't land on them as often or for very long.

The barn manager uses Springtime Bug Off garlic. We have used this brand for many supplements over the years with good results.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
My mare was recently diagnosed with ulcers (she's a TB, go figure!), so I am going to start her on RiteTrac next month after she's done treatment with the GastroGard. It's good for the whole digestive tract (foregut AND hindgut) so it will be a good prevention. She probably won't need it forever, but for now I want to keep them at bay. She got ulcers from not having 24/7 access to forage (she was on a 12/12 schedule). So her being on 24/7 forage will help.

I also have her on Tribute Essential K GC Plus, as a ration balancer (top-dress her feed with it) & it contains probiotics as well as joint support.

Other than that, no supplements.

·
Registered
311 Posts
California Trace to cover trace mineral balance and override the massive amounts of iron our local pasture grass and hays seem to have, especially if any timothy grass creeps into the bails. LubrisynHA and Cosequin original for joint lubrication and to prevent arthritic progress (and heal a bone bruise). Manna Pro Senior Weight Accelerator for energy (fiber, fat, protein), flax (skin, coat and mane/tail quality), biotin, Omega-3s, antioxidants Vitamin C and E (also to help prevent arthritis), and probiotics. Bit of regular old pure salt. Add NOW! Sports whey protein isolate as needed (less in summer, more during winter or lots of work.) I use Mountain Sunrise timothy hay pellets, soaked overnight, as a base. Mountain Sunrise timothy hay pellets have much less iron content than is typical of other timothy hay pellets.

Anyone interested in equine nutrition should check out anything from Dr. Eleanor Kellon. She offers online classes and has books out.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
This time of year my horses are all on SimpliFly as it seems to help not only by keeping the fly population down, but also seems to decrease the amount of fire ants in the pasture.

I have used apple cider vinegar in the past to keep flies and gnats away, but my RMHA gelding won't eat his food with it on, dangit.

For good hoof growth, especially helpful with aged, soft walled horses, I use BioFlax 20. Not currently using but will start in the winter on my 24 yr old because my pasture is very rocky and can wear the hooves down quicker than they can grow as the horse ages.

Plain salt block, electrolytes over the summer and started 1-2 weeks before big rides to make sure my gelding is drinking enough.

Corta-Flx joint medication for my 24 yr old mare to ease her arthritis pain. I prefer the liquid form, but the pelleted or powder form is usually preferred by the horses. Any horse in heavy competition is put on it too.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Only supplement my horse's get is tc 30 percent. They aren't liking it anymore so switching to a different feed. Got strategy. My horse's won't eat anything added to feed. So giving joint supplements or anything like that is useless they won't eat it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Well, since I last responded to this post, my other horse, Toofine, got put on some supplements of his own. I have been trying to cut back on the amount of grains that he got in his diet, so his supplemental grain changed. Along with this, I noticed him struggling occasionally with his hind end, and am thinking there is some stifle weakness/stiffness going on. Because this is officially his last season competing, I decided it would be best to put him on a fat supplement along with a joint supplement. Toofine receives Cool Calories and then SmartPak's Smartflex Ultra pellets. The Smartflex pellets were on sale over Memorial Day, otherwise I was just going to get Cosequin. Hopefully he holds his weight and his joints remain healthy throughout this season!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.