The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had someone pretty awesome lined up to lease Sky.. then she gave me a few red flags and I've had to cancel the lease before it even began.

I only have 2 months to find someone to lease my horse before I leave for New Zealand for a long time :/ basically until further notice.

I need support. I'm really heart broken.. what happened to all the good ol dependable honest trustworthy people?

:-(

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I hope you find someone quick! :( Did you advertise everywhere? Like every tack shop, every website that has listings? Ask your trainer to tell everyone she knows so if someone knows someone who;s looking for a horse, they'll come to you.

*Hugs* I really do hope you find someone trustworthy to take care of your boy! :(

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Depending on how "broke" your horse is, you could look for a lesson program and/or disabled riding program. They are always looking for good reliable horses. You may not get money in your pocket each month, but odds are they'll take good care of your horse. Just a suggestion. When I thought I couldnt afford my two (a thought that often crosses my mind) I always say I'd rather donate one to a great cause than to sell them and wonder how they're being cared for.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know if you are a Christian
but I am and i will pray that you find the right place fpr your beloved
horse
Thank you so much <3

I hope you find someone quick! :( Did you advertise everywhere? Like every tack shop, every website that has listings? Ask your trainer to tell everyone she knows so if someone knows someone who;s looking for a horse, they'll come to you.

*Hugs* I really do hope you find someone trustworthy to take care of your boy! :(
I've got an ad on his stall door, ads on craigslist, on a lot of horse websites. I should go to the local tack store and put an ad there. That's a brilliant idea! I've never been (I order stuff online cause I live in an apartment.)

Thank you!

I hope I do too... :/ I wish I could take him with but even if I raised 16k, I eventually want to come back so that's another 16k.. not feasible.

Depending on how "broke" your horse is, you could look for a lesson program and/or disabled riding program. They are always looking for good reliable horses. You may not get money in your pocket each month, but odds are they'll take good care of your horse. Just a suggestion. When I thought I couldnt afford my two (a thought that often crosses my mind) I always say I'd rather donate one to a great cause than to sell them and wonder how they're being cared for.
Yeah I've talked that over with my trainer and my boarders and I've thought it over and it just.. it wouldn't be fair to him. It took him so long to warm up to people in general and he's not ready for beginners nor for any other greenies (I am a beginner so lol) trying to get him to canter and pulling on his face and whatnot. It'd be nice if he was in a ground work program.. he'd get exercise and teach people how to work on the ground. Maybe I can look into that..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Oh gosh, I'm sorry! Did you post on sites like dream horse dot com? I've been seeing a few leases on there recently. I'm a big believer that what is meant to be will be...the right lease option will find you!!

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh gosh, I'm sorry! Did you post on sites like dream horse dot com? I've been seeing a few leases on there recently. I'm a big believer that what is meant to be will be...the right lease option will find you!!
I am a huge believer in that too.. and yes I have! dream horse, horse classifieds, craigslist, virginiaequestrian (need to update that one..) a few others that I've lost track of. But yeah I try to keep it updated and correct and honest. I've had nibbles but no bites.

Thank you though, :) I'm feeling a lot better

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Everything happens for a reason! Advertise him more and more and more, speak to your farrier, vet.. anyone.. word of mouth!!

Good luck xxxxx

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, NZ is my homecountry! Where are you going and what are you going to be doing? (send Sky up here and he can hang out with our Sky!)
Oh I wish! Wellington, NZ! :) You can bet your bottom dollar I will be riding up there.. I've heard it's gorgeous. I wish I could send Sky there.. he'd LOVE it!

Everything happens for a reason! Advertise him more and more and more, speak to your farrier, vet.. anyone.. word of mouth!!

Good luck xxxxx
Thank you!!! And yes, very very very true. I even had a talk with the hay man about Sky and he said he'd ask around too. He just deserves a great person while I'm away. I hope to find that person soon though. I'd even be willing to teach someone if they were new at it, as long as they had their heart in it and Sky liked them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So happy you are not going to Christchurch! (earthquakes!) You will love it there, it is so beautiful, I hope you do get to the south, it is the best! Wanaka, Queenstown. Very excited for you, Good luck with Sky, things have a way of working out.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So happy you are not going to Christchurch! (earthquakes!) You will love it there, it is so beautiful, I hope you do get to the south, it is the best! Wanaka, Queenstown. Very excited for you, Good luck with Sky, things have a way of working out.

Thank you so much! :)

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why are you going to NZ? School?
Sadly I still live with my parents (I'm 19) and doing online college because of financial issues and the fact my parents don't want me to leave without at least a degree... grr. So My dad is in the government and they have given him a post in New Zealand for 2 years minimum.. could be longer.

Either way I have no choice in the matter. I'm trying to transfer schools for the fall so I can at least be in the same state as my horse.. but we'll see how that goes.

It's a big ol mess :/

·
Registered
48,825 Posts
So, will you continiue college in NZ? this could be a really great opportunity, rather than a "mess".
What are you studying?

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, will you continiue college in NZ? this could be a really great opportunity, rather than a "mess".
What are you studying?
Well I'm continuing my online school and trying to get a little part time job with the embassy there. I've applied to two.. fingers crossed.

Right now I'm studying IT, I really want to get into Equine Science but IT seemed like a good place to start in order to earn more and be useful.

It just feels like a mess.. it really is a wonderful opportunity. I just wish I could share it with Sky, or at least find someone to help him gain confidence and maybe even teach him a thing or two. I had my heart set on taking him.. I had all the paper work filled out, the quarantine lined up (not scheduled, but pending) and I contacted New Zealand and they were giving me nearby stables and I called them. It's just disheartening. He's my best bud and he's been through hell and I don't want him to back track.

I know I'll be fine :) besides missing him.. but I worry about him.

·
Banned
9,470 Posts
Your farrier should also be a good resource for getting the word out about your horse.
Best of luck finding someone, and actually this is a blessing that you noticed the red flags before leasing to that person.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your farrier should also be a good resource for getting the word out about your horse.
Best of luck finding someone, and actually this is a blessing that you noticed the red flags before leasing to that person.
Oh yeah he knows, the barn owner knows, the boarders know, the internet knows.. but I do need to go to the tack stores and post it there. Maybe that's where the right person is lurking :)

Thank you.. it really is but it's sad that there were red flags because she seemed like she was a good fit besides riding open-rein. Just goes to show you that you shouldn't be quick to trust anyone. Shame.

Thanks again

:( That sucks, think of going to NZ as a good thing though! Hope you find someone soon!
Yeah I've always wanted to live there, even at a young age. No clue why :D just I made a note of telling everyone so it's very strange that was the first assignment my dad got. Obviously something is supposed to happen there. I was trying to treat this 2 year break as a good experience for Sky to learn that he can trust other people and really excel with them. Just I was really hurt about the leasing situation (both threads) and let that affect my feelings for New Zealand.

Thanks everyone, and if you guys know anyone in MD or DC or VA interested in leasing... *nudge nudge *wink wink :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts