The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a gray six year old gelding from a rescue and I have noticed he is always sweating on its neck/shoulder on the left side. The rescue said they got him from a kill truck in February and he was starved and it looked like he had been abused. It has been an average temperature of 40 degrees farenheit so I dont think it's the weather. He dosent seem like it is bothering him. He is very happy and content but I would like to make sure there aren't any major underlying problems.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Is it just a specific spot that gets sweaty? Like a defined patch? I've known several horses who have these patches, usually on their necks or shoulders. I've heard that it's from nerve damage to the skin through some injury. Some of the owners knew about injuries to the area, others didn't.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
I really hate the automatic assumption of abuse. Really, really hate it. Horses get injured, horses have accidents, things happen beyond the ability of any one to control. When horses change hands, horses change. Some for the better. Some for the worse. It all depends on the skill of the handler.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I really hate the automatic assumption of abuse. Really, really hate it. Horses get injured, horses have accidents, things happen beyond the ability of any one to control. When horses change hands, horses change. Some for the better. Some for the worse. It all depends on the skill of the handler.
Yea, I hate it too. Horse runs away from people - abused. Horse doesn't like x or y - abused with x or y. Horse doesn't like men - abused by men. Horse has a scar - abused. Don't like the previous owners - abused.
Regardless of what happened, it doesn't change the horse you have in front of you.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
My own horse was injured in a fall when she was five, and had a sweaty patch on one side of her neck (the side she fell on), subsequently. I asked my vet about it and he said it was a sign of nerve damage, and it would either heal on its own or it wouldn't. She stopped sweating there after a couple months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts