The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My (non-horsie) friend told me the other day that her friend's horse nearly died after ingesting some Sweet PDZ. She told me that the horse seemed fine out in the pasture, but 20 minutes later the horse went down. Apparently the vet told her that it's not uncommon, and if the horse hadn't been 16hh+, he would have been dead.

Sorry for the vague information, but it is a second hand story. I ended up making my friend feel bad because I didn't believe her story, so I just let it drop. But I have never ever heard of this happening. I feel like I'd have heard about it other than just this one case. I also can't believe a horse would eat it, as it's usually under the bedding, and unless the horse is digging in the stall, they wouldn't even reach it :?::?:

So my question is, has anyone ever heard of a horse getting sick from Sweet PDZ? I'm especially interested in this because I use it in my stalls.

For those who don't know, this is the stuff. It's for putting on the wet spot in stalls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,323 Posts
I'd be skeptical of it being the cause, too, unless the horse maybe got into a whole bag of it and ate it. I use it in my horse's stall on the spot where he usually pees (under the shavings, as you mentioned) and have never had him show any interest in that area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,559 Posts
Anything is possible, I suppose. This would be the first time I have ever heard of Sweet PDZ damaging a horse, much less to the point of having to PTS the horse.

Either the diagnosis was wrong or the horse had a very rare allergic reaction to it, IMO.

The only danger I have ever seen from Sweet PDZ is what it would be to my checkbook. I use dolemite lime because it's a lot cheaper, I can use it on the garden and on top of critter graves to keep wild animals from sniffing the grave sites out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
Honestly, anything non-food that your horse might ingest has the potential to harm or kill them. One of my donkey-owning friends on Facebook just removed a deflated balloon with ribbon attached from the stomach of one of her donkeys, it caused him to colic and nearly killed him. Ingesting a non-food substance or foreign object is going to cause problems, period. He could get in just as much trouble from eating too much grain or spring grass, chewing wood on the fence or in his stall, eating moldy hay someone didn't check, eating a piece of trash that blew into his pasture...the list goes on.

If the horse is eating his bedding, then either it needs to not be used for HIM specifically, or he needs to be on something he won't eat or is safe for him to eat, such as straw. If you've used it without incident in your stalls so far, and your horses don't snack on their bedding, I don't see it being an issue going forward.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,187 Posts
Sweet PDZ is a zeolite product. Food grade zeolites are fed to horses to clear toxins and improve digestion in some places. I'd say the horse got into something else. Sorry her friend experienced a loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've used it without incident, and I did actually hear about it on a chicken forum to keep the coop smelling clean, haha.

Just to be clear, the horse was owned by a friend of my friend who is not horsie, but when I doubted her story, she texted her friend and did confirm that the friend though the Sweet PDZ was the culprit. The horse did not die, but owner thought he came close to death.

I'm glad no one else has experienced any issues using this product. Honestly I don't even know how they could have determined Sweet PDZ is the culprit. It may have just been a freak accident - maybe the horse was already feeling ill, started pawing in the stall, dropped nose in the wet spot and got it on its nose so they assumed.

I just think the weirdest part is the vet saying this wasn't uncommon(?!). This incident happened in Fairfax county VA, in case anyone in this area knows of a case.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,645 Posts
I can only add that I use PDZ or Stall Dry (cheaper but does the same job) on a daily basis and never seen a horse try to lick it let alone eats it. I only use a small amount on wet patches and it soon absorbs the pee so I'd be puzzled to think a horse would even want to eat it?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top