Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Today I noticed something very strange on my mare's stomach. On her underbelly, a few inches in front of her nipples (but still close) and kind of on that flap on the underside of the belly, there are two swollen lumps. On the right side, it is not nearly as noticeable as it is on the left side. The left one is about 4 inches long, 2 inches wide, and an inch or so tall. When I push on it, she doesn't seem to care. It isn't discolored and there is no broken skin.

My other mare was a former broodmare, and she doesn't have this. It is muddy in the paddock- could she have slipped? She is also swaybacked, it that helps.

I googled it before posting, and found that someone had previously posted a similar question on this forum. Responses to her said that it could be bug bites or weather related. I live in WI and we just had a pretty big thunderstorm last night. It was supposed to be hot today, but because of the rain, it is also very humid.

Since it doesn't seem to hurt her when I push on it, I don't want to call the vet out unless I have to. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It sounds like it could be bug bites.
Could you get pictures?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry can't get the pics to load... my computer's being rude.

Yeah, I was thinking bug bites, since the flies and gnats have been bad. HOWEVER I did just see a post about it being Pigeon fever season. I read and responded to it, then made the mistake of googling pigeon fever. So now I'm worried that that's what it is, I just don't know if the swelling can occur that far back. Plus, we've had fairly hot/wet/humid weather around here.

And this morning when I went out to feed I checked on her belly, and the swelling seems to have went down a bit. Now, that would make since if it only is weather related, since it cooled off over night, but it's supposed to be hot again today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.