The Horse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I came across swelling on my gelding infront and what looks like to be just half of his sheath. I’m not sure what it is and will be calling a vet to rule out infection but in the mean time has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Yes - sheath swelling was one of the early signs of my horse's Cushing's.

But it could also be from an insect bite, a kick, a list of other things... What's important right now - can he lower his penis to urinate? Has the swelling spread? Take a marker of some sort and trace around the swelling so that you can closely monitor it's spread.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Swelling that way usually means he needs cleaned. Have you ever cleaned a gelding before? If not, there are some very good sites here online that will explain the procedure to you. Here is a good one.

Reactions: Knave

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
It could be a number of things. Is it a pitted edema? can you push on it and the indentation stays? Does it feel solid? It could be, lymphatic, bug bite, dirty sheath. Let us know what the Vet says.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I’ve seen it and it was time for a cleaning.

Reactions: Jmin

·
Registered
797 Posts
You must be one of the 'lucky' ones who don't have to clean their horse's over productive dangly bits. My guy produces so much, its black (is that even normal?) and leaves traces of it on his leg, must be when he sleeps. I have to clean every two weeks...

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
You must be one of the 'lucky' ones who don't have to clean their horse's over productive dangly bits. My guy produces so much, its black (is that even normal?) and leaves traces of it on his leg, must be when he sleeps. I have to clean every two weeks...
Thats a lot smegma. Do you use a soap ? Do not use any thing harsh. I was told to use Ivory, and not a lot. It rinses cleaner . I would be concerned about it being black

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I use ivory, and rarely clean. The guy who ends up swollen like that and with issues has a tumor inside his sheath. We love him, but he’s somewhat older and we are just letting it go.

I say this only for a warning. I didn’t know not to touch it, and I scrubbed it way up inside. That’s fine, it needed cleaned of course, but the vet said not to touch it with bare hands again. She said the cancer translates to skin cancer by touching.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Some smegma can be the result of tumors growing up in the pockets. A lot of it is darker, with grey, or tanish colors depending on the horse. If the horse makes a lot of smegma, this usually indicates it is not extending and not letting it 'air dry' I have never heard that plain water makes it to dry. I will just hose them out once in a while. I usually only clean with soap when I notice they are scaly or if the sheath gets a bit swollen looking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts