The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I know I’m going to get a huge variety of answers on this post, but I would like to hear feedback on feeds.
I currently feed my 4 YO Safechoice Maintenance- And I’m considering switching him to something higher quality, such as Triple Crown or Bluebonnet. He is an easy keeper, but i’m just not a huge fan of Safechoice.
He gets moderate work, about an hour and a half of work every day including lunging, riding and mind work.
Ive noticed less of a coat shine and a more lethargic attitude recently, more than likely a result of being stalled so much, as well as mushier poop.
Any tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Since he's an easy keeper, have you tried just a ration balancer?

One of my favorite feeds for easy keepers is Buckeye Gro 'n Win Ration Balancer.

I've never heard of Blue Bonnet, but I have used Triple Crown Senior before to gain weight on my half-Arab, and it never did much but he did eat it right up. I would look into the ration balancers that Triple Crown offers and go from there; if the horse is an easy keeper, he doesn't need much, if anything.

Reactions: phantomhorse13

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
If you have access to Tribute Feeds, I highly recommend the Essential K ration balancer. I went from feeding (10 horses: 3 super easy keepers, 4 medium keepers, 1 that is twice as big as the others, and 2 super model types) 60 lbs a day of Kalm Ultra, to a little more than 10 lbs a day!! The Kalm Ultra was awesome at getting them through a winter that required hay rationing. I have never seen shinier horses!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Triple crown 30 percent ration balancer will provide all he needs in 1 pound per day. Being he's a easy keeper.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have tried Blue Bonnet before. While I believe it is an excellent feed nutrition-wise, all of my horses thought it wasn't. Palatability seemed to be lacking. Some eventually ate it since they figured out it was all they were going to get while others literally threw their buckets in disgust. The one questionable ingredient was fish oil, and I believe that was the turn off. I fed the Omega Force, but I didn't look at other formula's ingredients since they seemed too high octane for what I was looking for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not tried a ration balancer. Id say he’s easy-moderate, and I don’t think he needs a high protein content. My trainer believes he’s doing alright on his current feed and that he doesn’t need a change, but he’s had this problem with mushy poop and diarrhea since we moved to the new barn. I’d think a higher quality feed would help, and changing him from a local grown coastal to possibly timothy. Otherwise, I have no clue as to why he’s had mushy poop and diarrhea for almost a month now. My best guess is the hay, and I just want a higher quality feed in general. We just switched two of our other horses into Equilene pelleted with max e glo, and they love it no different than safe choice.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you can, have your hay tested. Then sign up with feedxl.com ration calculator. They have a huge database of commercial supplements, and you can actually balance your horse's ration with almost no guesswork. I have just switched from TC 30% to Stride 101. I thought the horses needed more protein, but the ration calculator showed they were getting over 160% of what they need. Could explain why they're getting fat on a tight low carb diet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.