The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum, very pleased to be here.

Was wondering if I could get some help? I just brought a new horse who's in an area that's in a drought and there's not much grass where he is. I should be picking him up next weekend and was just a little worried about putting him on lusher pasture straight away, I don't want to cause havoc in his digestive system.

I was just wanting to get some advice on what I should do?

My current plan was to stick him in our stock yard and put up a smallish temporary paddock that he can graze in for the time being. Do I give him access to the small paddock 24 hours a day or should I restrict his grazing somewhat for the first week or so?

I'm also going to mention that he's getting fed 4 times a day at the moment with access to hay at all times just in case it helps.

Thank you so much for any help, I'd be very grateful

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Getting them used to grass takes time. I would recommend you gradually increase her exposure starting with a short time for a few days,(like 1/2 hour) and increase it every few days, depending upon how she tolerates it. Some horses cannot tolerate grass 24/7, even when "used to it". It depends upon the horse, sugar content of the grass and many factors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.