The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a TWH that has had 3 episodes of a swollen eye. The first time it was swollen shut. We flushed it out and it was better the next day. The second episode same eye, same treatment and it was better the next day. This time it is the other eye that is swollen and this eye is cloudy. The only thing we origionally thought was that he was getting hay in it when he and the other horses were eating at the big round bale of hay. I am worried about the cloudy part. Why would it be cloudy? anyone out there have any experience with eye problems?

Rhonda

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Call The Vet Now!

Do not mess with eyes. Call your vet and have the vet look at it. I am guessing whatever is going on is very painful for your horse too.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Time to call the vet.

Hope the horse doesn't lose the eye. Sounds like he's already lost sight in it.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
agreed agreed agreed, definitely call the vet
cloudy is not a good sign

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I also doubt the horse is poking himself in the eye while eating.

It sounds like uveitis to me. Very painful condition that can only be controlled, not cured.

·
Super Moderator
26,791 Posts
He's probably either got allergies or getting something in it. Cloudy usually means there is a scratch. I'd call the vet. If you have any banamine I'd give him a dose of that while I was waiting for the vet.

They'll probably put this dye stuff in it so that can see whatever damage there is, if any and then they'll give you a treatment plan, which is usually 2 or three different ointments.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Call the vet. Anything involving the eye is a red flag emergency, whether it's swelling, excessive/sudden weeping, cuts, contusions, punctures, whatever.

Don't mess around with eyes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.