The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea what this is? She is not in a wet field, only the dew from the night in the morning. I've only had her for about a month. This showed up about a week ago? On all 4 hooves. FE605787-BBC4-4661-8301-5F155BE61171_1563074302007.jpg 9B80E4CB-1353-4A04-A863-0BA97E1185C2_1563074485210.jpg

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
No, that's just her periople. They can look a bit funky sometimes. It's basically the cuticle of the hoof, which just like your cuticles can get a little shredded or uneven.
When they're wet, they retain water and stick out above the hoof.

However, the horse could use some good farriery because the hoof walls are long and jammed up, giving the coronary band that tight appearance. That look is because the hoof has squished up over the lateral cartilages, which are supposed to show at the top of the hoof. Here's another squished hoof.

Here's a healthy length of hoof wall with the lateral cartilages relaxing on top.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
There is no hair around her coronary band, did you shave it for a show? She's got some funky rings happening there too. Her periople looks infected actually. I've never seen a periople separate like that before, looks like a sick hoof to me.

·
Premium Member
23,921 Posts
I'm not at all sure that periople is OK myself, even if the horse is in wet footing. Especially if the horse isn't in waterlogged footing. Have you been putting oil or something on them, that would make them(& the hair/skin above) look 'soaked'? And the 'chewed' kind of look to it - never heard of rats chewing (!!) but that's a scary thought! I'm with Wares that it looks like there's probably some skin infection going on. Nutrition may also be a prob that's contributing.

As Gotta explained, that's not a healthy foot though(the 'here's a healthy foot' pic didn't show up tho Gotta, there's just a broken pic link above the Arnd Bronkhurst one), and the periople prob may well be just another symptom of that. That 'ledge' kind of look above the hairline is because the capsule has become pushed up high around the bones - or the bones have 'sunk' within the capsule, which ever way you want to think of it. I'd guess that the extensor process(knobby bit, top front) of P3 is well within the capsule. I'd be getting those shoes off and rehabbing those feet. You can use hoof boots when necessary for work, or, while I think they're still best avoided, because any fixed shoe under those walls is going to be a compromise, at least until hooves are healthy, if you simply must use a fixed shoe, something that provides good support under the foot and which doesn't load it too much peripherally will be vital - such as Easyshoes with pour-in pads. Especially if going a fixed shoe, I'd ensure they weren't left more than about 4 weeks between trims - little & often, to ensure there's no overgrowth and you can continue to get improvement with each trim.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think I would put in a call to the vet and have a blood panel done. Specifically check selenium levels. What is the horse's diet? Any noxious weeds in the pasture? Has the horse been sick with a fever? Is the horse sore or lame? Some periople seperation can be normal, but this seems to be a little deeper than normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure her diet has changed because I just purchased her and the lady that had her I do not think was graining her at all. I put her on strategy and msm. She is 15. she is my daughters barrel horse. She is not lame. Sometimes I feel like her front right does bother her some but I can push poke whatever on place and she doesn't seem to mind at all. I just had her shod 2 weeks ago (front only) looks like a need to find a new farrier?? I'm new to all this!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is turned out. Not stalled for now. I think it bothers me more than her. I have sprayed some iodine on it a few times to try to disinfect it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Do you have any pictures of what her feet looked like when you got her?

If they farrier has only seen her once, then he might just be dealing with what he was given. I would point out some of the stuff people have noticed to the farrier next time they are out and see what they say. I would also call the farrier out earlier than 6-8 weeks because her feet are still long.

I'm not really sure but I agree it looks infected and it also looks to me like it's separating or something strange going on.

I think it's also highly likely that the feed change could be causing this.

·
Premium Member
23,921 Posts
If she has been put on a high carb feed(strategy isn't super high but it is 25% nsc which is quite significant) depending how much, how it's being fed, this could be problematic.

If that's a 2 week old job & clinches are all loose, and it appears there are nails right round to the heels(?), and it seems the farrier maybe didn't trim hinds, then there are some questions, but I wouldn't judge the work based only on those few pics. If you wanted the horse shod and her feet are already in a state, he can only make the best of it under the circumstances. But her hooves won't get any healthier kept peripherally loaded - support/protection under the foot if needed and *relief* of pressure to the walls is what's needed.

As for lameness, horses are stoic. If you reckon there's something off, chances are you're right, as things are often significant by the time they're obvious. Pushing & prodding doesn't necessarily tell you anything & the horse may just 'grin & bear it'.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I wouldn't rule out a health issue, as others have said.

However, in the first photo you can see rasp marks clear up into the very top of the hoof. It wouldn't surprise me if the hoof trimmer had rasped some of the periople off when rasping the outer hoof, since he or she was rather indiscriminate about rasping the rest of the hoof. It would be interesting to see how the hooves looked when completely dry - my guess is that the issue would not seem as pronounced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She decided she wanted to run thru the barb wire fence, (picture in my avatar) vet had to do a few stitches in one spot. Healing great from that! I don't have pictures from when I first got her unfortunately. But strangely, the difference from yesterday to today is crazy! I don't understand it. Nothing has changed in her lifestyle, obviously overnight?? I have stopped all grain. Other than that, same field...same grass.... Same weather....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Yes, that is why I was wondering how the hooves would look when dry. Perioples can sure look funny when they're swollen with moisture. Notice how wet your horse's hair was up above on the hairline, those hooves had been pretty wet. Maybe she'd been lying down and the skin got wet. Since I live in a very wet environment, I'm used to seeing really strange looking perioples sometimes. The difference was only from water retention in that "cuticle" area of the hoof which swelled it up and made it look funny.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Still separation and a groove between the periople and the pastern, just dried up now. I have never seen this before

·
Premium Member
23,921 Posts
Yeah, so, as Gotta has said, the white rubbery looking stuff is just from it being wet, but I seriously don't like the look of those dry pics, for reasons already explained. If you'd like to post pics for more of a 'critique', please see the link in my signature line for what's needed.

·
Registered
49,439 Posts
May we see photos of her hoof's underside? in the "sunday" photo, there is a dark patch, down under the clinches, that has a look of thrush. I don't know if thrush can be seen from the outside of the hoof, but when I have seen it on the underside, it has that look.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
I think the black spot at the bottom is just an old nail hole.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.