The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to the barn the other night to bring the boys in and arrived to quite a mess! My older horse had kicked one of the boards in half, wich I'm assuming was what cut the inside of my younger guy's front right leg (A 2x2 inch "L" shaped gouge about 6 inches above his front right inner knee) when the board kicked out. It could've used a stitch at the time, however it was too late as the wound had already started to heal by the time I was cleaning it out. I hosed his leg down, (he was sound) noticed some slight swelling around the cut itself, put some vitamin E on it and put him in the barn for bed. The next morning it had swollen more, but not to the front of the knee, and he was clearly in discomfort when I touched it. I cold hosed, walked, put Derma Gel on it and gave him half a small scoop of bute with his dinner as he was in pain with just a gentle touch and compensating for it when he walked. Anyways, this brings me to yesterday afternoon about 3 pm, almost 24 hours since the bute, (I had noticed he was feeling much more comfortable that morning), and the wound itself is looking great, healing up beautifully nice and clean, but he now has a fluid-filled sac on the front of his knee and warm swelling down the inside of the leg. I cold hosed and walked him, the swelling went down, but the sac on the knee did not. I am ready to call my vet for a second opinion, but thought I'd give a post on here a shot in the meantime. Please let me know if anyone has encountered this problem, what your diagnosis was and treatment!! Just want to see my lil man back in action! Thank you!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so the wound itself looked much more healed this morning, however the inside of his lower leg and the front of his knee still warm and swollen. I cold hosed for 10 min, went for a little walk, and the swelling had gone down on the leg significantly, but not the knee...i hosed some more and put him in his paddock to eat breakfast... Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Personally I would have the horse on stall rest with some bute and not walking him. Since it was an injury that you don't know what it injured walking could be aggravating it. Stall him and call you vet in the morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive learnt from past experience and vets advice that swelling goes down more when they have a 2-3 min walk following and/or inbetween cold hosing ...something involving the circulation. Its not a working walk or anything, just a yonder down the driveway and back. I personally dont like boxing them up in the stall all day unless its absolutely neccesary, he is a tb from the track and luckily isn't very active in his paddock anyways..... this is my first time posting here and just wanted to see if this forum is helpful or if anybody had encountered a similar problem! Anyways thanks!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well my mare did hurt her knee this winter, swelled up good enough. Bute for two days and stall rest by the third day she seemed better so I put her out that afternoon is was swollen even bigger than before. She was only in a paddock. So then she went back on bute and stall rest for a week and all was well. It really depends what the injury is if walking is good or not.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I would be concerned about the cut being partly puncture. Healing on the outside can trap infection on thr inside. The heat and soft swelling may be ab abscess building. Has you horse had a tetnus shot? Get that... talk to the vet too.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts