The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old rescue mare that we’ve had about a month now. Just this last week I’ve noticed that all 4 of her legs are slightly swollen. Full legs. She doesn’t appear lame. She is very skittish, so I have been unable to check for heat just yet. I plan on trying to pen her up this weekend and get hands on her.
She is not stalled at all, but roams 5 acres. She is possibly bred, and underweight.
I have started to wonder if it might be protein related. She is currently on Triple Crown Senior and Omelene 300(9lbs each split in to 3 feedings) 3-4 flakes of alfalfa, and free choice Bermuda hay, as well as what ever green may be popping up in the pasture(there is clover on it I know). I’ve started to cut back on some of the complete feeds, and am adding very pulp and soybean oil for added fiber and fat. Picture of her legs is from the 1st day we got her and from today.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Are you sure she's 4? Had her aged by a vet? The only horses I've seen stock up like that (with the exception of injured ones) were old horses. Be very careful about increasing her feed and do it slowly. Too much too often with a starved horse can cause some lower limb swelling. Has she been checked for any lymph/heart issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, she has been mouthed at 4-5. We always slowly increased feed over time. We picked her up December 19th and have just now reached the amount we are feeding now. Although I’ve decided to back off on it as I’m afraid it is the protein content causing issues. She is the 5th malnourished horse we have taken in to rehabilitate this last year, and always follow the same refeeding protocol. She’s the first we’ve had with the swelling issues. We haven’t had a full work up on her yet, as we haven’t been able to get hands on her yet. We were trying to go slowly with working with her, but this has thrown a wrench in our plans. I plan to try to pen her up this weekend to try and get her haltered and handled.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Due to her pregnancy I would be consulting with a vet. I had one mare that was retaining fluid during the latter stages of her pregnancy and the vet had me put her on something but I can't remember what it was. Doesn't matter since it was 25 years ago and protocols have probably changed anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Due to her pregnancy I would be consulting with a vet. I had one mare that was retaining fluid during the latter stages of her pregnancy and the vet had me put her on something but I can't remember what it was. Doesn't matter since it was 25 years ago and protocols have probably changed anyway.
Thank you. I will definitely check with my vet about that. I’m hoping I can get her haltered this weekend so our vet can give her a full work up.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Are you feeding her any pelleted feed ? I would add some electrolytes in to make sure she is getting enough. Are those acorn trees ? I would get ride of the leaves and any acorns or nuts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you feeding her any pelleted feed ? I would add some electrolytes in to make sure she is getting enough. Are those acorn trees ? I would get ride of the leaves and any acorns or nuts.
She does get pelleted feed. She has a trace mineral block, but I will start adding electrolytes to her feed. And those are mostly pecan trees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts