The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had any ideas why a horses back legs would swell up. Last night she was a little stocked up but that's pretty normal for her because of past health conditions.

I plan on taking her temperature soon and hand walking for a while once it's not so wet out. Possibly hosing her legs, if I have to I have standing wraps and stuff so I can have someone wrap her legs. I haven't seen her legs like this since she had a reaction to Dex, but it's not like tree trunks, you just can't see the tendons in her legs, they are smooth.

Hope it's nothing serious but if the vet has to come out he has too, but it's $500-$700 I would rather not spend.

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured I would up date, no temperature, and hand walking did little to help. But she's seems a little off on her back right leg but both back legs seem stiff.

There maybe a call to the vet in the future just to figure out what my next step is.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like cold hosing for twenty minutes helped a good deal than hand walking for 15 minutes. The swelling is down and she's not so stiff. So I'll keep up the hosing today and hand walking. If it's back tomorrow morning I'll call the vet.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
A lot of horses will stock up in the back legs if they are kept in a stall over night. Its a fairly normal thing as they are not able to move around to keep blood circulating. I bet after turn out for a few hours it would be gone.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's been turned out since 7 this morning and they still haven't gone down any more. Its got me scratching my head, when she stocks up it doesn't usually last this long.

Well she's in no pain and no temperature so I'm not panicing, hopefully it will go down more soon.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like this morning it's an injury to her back right, the swelling goes down in her back left easily but the right is obviously being uncomfortable. Calling the vet this morning, to at least get instructions until he comes to my area on Monday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts