The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a horse (my first ever) from Canada two weeks ago. It had been on a trailer for 9 hours to get here. The left hind leg was swollen. My trainer put an ointment on it (small black cylindrical container, green lid, didn't see name), wrapped it and the swelling went down. Leg started swelling again the next day, but mimimal. Got better by riding him but didn't go away entirely. In the mean time he developed an infection in the bulbs so stall rest. Left hind leg swollen again. Ointment, wraps and voilà, swelling completely gone after two days. That was yesterday. I went back this morning and hell yes, swollen again. Both legs but left leg worse than right.
It does not bother him, he doesn't limp at all. It's the lower legs, starts mid cannon bone to around fetlocks.
Is this just due to inactivity or time to call the vet?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
What kind of infection in the bulbs? Bulbs of the heel?

I wouldn't limit him to stall rest. I agree that it sounds like he's stocking up. The more he can move and keep that blood pumping the better off he will be. Movement should clear up the infection quicker, too.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
In the mean time he developed an infection in the bulbs so stall rest. Left hind leg swollen again.
How long was "in the mean time"?

Likely the horse is stocking up from not being able to move. I would keep him in a turn out so he can move around, and regular hand walking throughout the day.

If there is indeed any sort of INFECTION, I'd be called the vet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree with what has been said. He is probably stocking up, which is painless to the horse. It's caused from lack of blood circulation due to limited movement.

My horse has had it a couple of times, I've never bothered to stress about it. It always goes away with turnout.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! This all happened in the two weeks that he's been with me and it was on top of other, minor, problems so I was freaking out a bit :) I don't have much experience with horses bc I only started riding two years ago. Everything is new and either exciting of frightening.

I started hand walking him yesterday. The infection is almost gone so he'll get plenty of exercise again soon :)

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts