The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm looking for anyone who as seen this in their horse. It is not very common.

I have a gelding with a swollen urethra, the tip looks red and irritated. The urethra is very firm and protrudes from the penis when he urinates. I noticed it because his stream was not straight, but spraying all over the place. I've had the vet out and he has not seen this very often. We put the horse on penicillin and butte for 5 days and it has had no measurable effect.

It does not appear to bother the horse, he pees fine and let's you handle his area with no problem. Acts normal in every way.

Next step could be to inject that area with Steroids to see if that reduces the swelling. Ouch, poor guy. :(

I thought about putting him on Platinum skin & allergy - see if that helps.

Anyone have any ideas or has seen this before? Hoping it is not a sign of something more serious....

Thank you! Stephanie

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I am assuming the vet and/or you checked for a bean first off? I can't say I have experienced a horse with a swollen urethra. Swollen sheath, yeah. Tumors on the penis, yeah, but not this.
Have you gone through the whole 5 days of antibiotics?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, when the vet came, he cleaned his sheath, found no beans. Wasn't even that dirty. He's been off the penicillin since Tuesday.

Flys are really bad here (CA) this year. He gets little hives with fly bites, always has. That's why I'm wondering if some kind of allergic reaction? Too many flys? IDK. Frustrating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts