The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok is more pole kicking than gridwork!! :p Bit of history she's a dressage pony that has changed disapline to affliated showjumping can be abit clumsey in the ring sometimes my fault being on a dodgy stride sometimes hers kicked out for no reason.. Gridwork is hard for her that many poles in a row some CC may be usefull don't be too harsh I might cry!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Pretty good, esp. for a dressage horse.. ! I would try to teach her to extend her canter a little bit and keep it, she has a pretty short stride sometimes, but then she will have a huge canter, etc., like Casey, and it will be easier if either she extends her stride or the poles are placed farther together.

I would work on just getting her to have a good steady canter stride..

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yah good for a dressage horse, nice Steff.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well Steff, you really have bought yourself a lovely showjump err destroyer! :p

Whats that saying, nice horse shame about the rider? :p (love ya really!)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Do you have boots on her? I'd take them off when doing gridwork if she tends to be lazy with her feet. It may just give her a good bump or two and make her think about it a bit more. It helped my mare!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I wonder if the jumps were correctly spaced?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
she is wearing boots but they are open fronted tendon boots.. the fences are spaced out as bounce strides :wink:

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I personally would put those polls about 6"s to a foot closer together. It looks like she's struggling to make those strides. Also, if you tighten those up, it will help her jump more round and not hurl over them flat. Your position is great. Grids are so much fun!

·
Registered
244 Posts
One thing I want to add is that with a horse learning to jump, use ground lines at the base of your fences. It will help your horse learn to judge distances correctly; as they get closer to the jump, their vision tunnels so by the time they reach the jump, they are jumping blind. I think she would have gotten the hang of it a lot quicker if she was able to better judge the distance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.