The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to syringe my horse some stuff since she won't eat the powder in her feed. What would be the best consistency so she doesn't spit? Thin(ner) consistency like water or applesauce or paste-y(er) consistency like worming paste or molasses?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I use 50:50 apple juice and water.

I buy the 60 CC syringes from TSC and cut the tips off.

I put the powder dosage in the syringe (holding a finger over the open tip, I cut off).

Fill the rest with the water/apple juice but leave enough room to get the plunger in and to shake the mix up.

Then down the hatch in the corner of the mouth, same as when I use paste wormer:)

Follow with a small treat:):)

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I buy the 60 CC syringes from TSC and cut the tips off.
The "regular" with the rip cut off? Many people recommend irrigation tip or Drench tip.

Have you had any clogs/jams? I am experimenting. I tried a paste-y texture, and I don't think I did it right... lol

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
The "regular" with the rip cut off? Many people recommend irrigation tip or Drench tip.

Have you had any clogs/jams? I am experimenting. I tried a paste-y texture, and I don't think I did it right... lol
Yes to the regular but you have to keep the tip against your finger so nothing comes out during prep. If you have arthritis in your hands that may not be possible.

If there’s so much powder there isn’t enough room to make it more on the liquid side, give two doses. The horse won’t mind when apple juice is involved, lollol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts