The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soooo in love with this saddle LOVE IT!!

It is a Harry Dabbs Origional Event, in excellant condition. Padded Knee's with Knee blocks, padded seat and ooooober comfortable! I don't want to get out of it when I get into it.

My position is so easily achieved in this saddle as well! I can get into my functional two point with ease without having to struggle, unlike with my Wintec 500 A/P. There's so much positive about this saddle, I'm just in love :D

I have to get matching accessories for it though, right now I am using all my black stuff with the saddle. I have to use a thick 1/2 pad as well, Nelson's topline is very .... well, non existant right now since the injury in January. The saddle is a Medium/Wide so I've had to put shims in my corrective 1/2 pad to rise the pommel up. When Nelson fills out, the saddle will fit him wonderfully.

I just love everything about this saddle. The panels, the angle of the panels, the width of the gullet and the list goes on!

Here it is:

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL guys! That's not pink!!!! It's Raspberry! Get it right eh!! LOL....besides, real men wear pink *wink*

I have my lesson today, I am oober excited about my Coach seeing me in her old saddle :)

I really need to get a saddle bag/carrier for it. It sucks packing my saddle around bare back and forth from the barn. I would leave it at the barn, but I have nothing to protect it, and I don't want it getting covered in dust or sat on by a barn cat or bumped or knocked by another boarder while they are getting their tack together.

Before I didn't care, it was a Wintec - but now...LOL.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Upnover :) :) I am so thrilled!

I had my first lesson in this saddle today and I just can't stop oogling it and ooing and awwing over it. My Coach thinks it a smidge too small on me, but I feel snug as a bug in a rug in it.

I tried an 18" and it's too big. I don't feel secure in it, there is too much room. I can't feel secure in an 18" no matter how hard I try. Too loose, I feel floppy in it.

The 17.5" I feel just right.

My two point is so solid! My Coach was very impressed with where my form was today, compared to before in my Wintec.

I love this saddle!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That saddle is georgous!! I'm so happy that you finally completed your saddle search. I know how hard those can be...

Anyways I'm extremely jeolous and second the need for riding pictures!! :wink:

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL!

I'll do my best to get pictures! It is difficult to pawn my camera off onto someone at the barn to get shots of me. I feel awkward asking - I'm going out to day, so I'll see if I can get some.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Nice saddle and looks like a good fit on him. Congrats!

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Isn't it amazing what difference a good saddle can make? The comfort or discomfort of it can set the tone for your whole horsey experience.
Sounds like you got a good one, congratulations!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So glad you found one, it looks beautiful on Nelson! Now I'm starting the search for a new saddle *sigh* my legs are too long so I need one with extra long flaps, or something along those lines
Glad it worked out! =]
I hate saddle shopping!

Adams Saddlery has a sale on their Collegiate Diploma Convertible right now for $759.00 - great deal especially since that saddle sells for over $1,000 brand new. They come in long flaps, that's what I was going to get since I have super long legs as well.

Isn't it amazing what difference a good saddle can make? The comfort or discomfort of it can set the tone for your whole horsey experience.
You are absolutely correct! I rode in that Wintec 500 A/P for years without realizing otherwise. I worked hard to get good equitation over fences and to remain functional.

Then I got into this Harry Dabbs, and everything that I had to fight for, came so easily!

I now see how a saddle is supposed to aid you, not hinder you - glad I experienced that first hand!

My Coach during my lesson kept saying how much my position in my tack has improved - she thought it was from all that hard work...yeah..right....it was the saddle! The saddle deserves the credit!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You are absolutely correct! I rode in that Wintec 500 A/P for years without realizing otherwise. I worked hard to get good equitation over fences and to remain functional.

Then I got into this Harry Dabbs, and everything that I had to fight for, came so easily!

I now see how a saddle is supposed to aid you, not hinder you - glad I experienced that first hand!

My Coach during my lesson kept saying how much my position in my tack has improved - she thought it was from all that hard work...yeah..right....it was the saddle! The saddle deserves the credit!
YES!!! THANK YOU!! There are days when I start to wonder if I'm a saddle snob telling people to get a better saddle... I know not everyone can afford the nicest fanciest saddle, but QUALITY COUNTS! IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!! Save your money, take your time, find a good deal on a quality used saddle and you will not regret it! I shocks me how many people don't realize how the right saddle can make a world of difference. Your saddle should work WITH you, not against you.
And I personally hate Wintecs. While they may be the nicest synthetics out there, there are so many better saddles you can get for the same price.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree, I will never own another Wintec for my sport and for what I do.

I'm not sure if it is quality that counts - well, yeah I can see what you mean because the better it is made, the better it will aid you - but I also think that it depends on your body type and how the saddle works with you.

You could get into a Pessoa and it not work well for you at all, even though it is a quality saddle, you could get into a Schleese and same result - if you get what I mean :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.