The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been on the international news a little, but the Taal volcano in southern Luzon began erupting earlier this week. It is the smallest volcano in the Philippines, but the second most active. The last eruption was in the mid 1970’s.

Its unique geography makes it a big tourist attraction. The volcano cone is surrounded by a lake in an ancient caldera. A boat takes tourists as well as residents across to the outer cone.

Residents keep horses and use them t carry tourists up the cone to the rim to get a view into another lake with a smaller cone. There was usually steam visible there.

I rode up to the rim some years ago. One of my thoughts at the time was how or even whether the people could get the livestock off the island in case of an eruption.

What has, and apparently is ongoing, is that some residents and at least 2 animal welfare organizations have defied mandatory evacuation orders and rescued some of the horses, carabaos, cattle, and goats from the island.

One photo here shows the geography of the area, and the current danger zones. The other shows stock being evacuated by small boats.

BB37567F-E37A-426D-B596-C2590AB33933_1579088758133.jpg

0106AAE6-1539-4DD3-AEF1-B0386E84CE00_1579088804940.jpg

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I had heard about this on the radio, and I thought of you and wondered if you were affected. I'm glad you seem to be OK. I had also heard about the animals; really sad. I'm so glad some organizations are coming to help them.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ACinATX. We are fine. We are actually stranded until Friday at our son’s home in Japan. We were visiting and scheduled to fly home on the day of the eruption. All flights into and out of Manila were cancelled due to the ash cloud. Can’t really complain about extra time to spend with the grandkid.

Our ranch is about 370 kilometers north of the volcano. Folks looking after the place for us say there is no sign of ash there.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I'm happy that there are people risking it to get these animals out of there as they didn't choose to live there. Also, I hope no one gets hurt in doing so and very glad that this isn't affecting you and your farm.

Enjoy your extended stay in Japan.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
What I read was it was throwing ash and pebbles 9 miles up into the air. The Philippine Islands are in the Ring of Fire that circles the pacific ocean. And I looked at the volcanic lightning it was producing.

Glad you and family are safe. Hope you get to fly home soon. @Cordillera Cowboy

·
Registered
49,421 Posts
Amazing that people would live all the way up the sides of an obviously active volcano.

this reminds me of the one in New Zealand, where the tourists got caught on the island, and a dozen or so died.

We had a volcano erupt here, about 30 years ago, . . Mt. Saint Helens.
The ash cloud didn't come toward Seattle. About 80 people died.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Amazing that people would live all the way up the sides of an obviously active volcano.

this reminds me of the one in New Zealand, where the tourists got caught on the island, and a dozen or so died.

I think about Mt Ranier and the massive mud flow lanes that would wipe out many suburbs around it if it ever blew (and it is technically an active volcano). Why do people choose to live in those suburbs? I guess it's what they can afford. Plus no one really thinks it will happen. I sure wouldn't live there.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The thing that gets me about Mt Ranier is that it is known as an active volcano (which hasn't blown since 1700s, yes, but still) and they STILL approved all of that new-ish development in the path of the mud flow. I mean, imagine those glaciers melting off all and once. Loss of lives could be in the tens of thousands.

Having said that, Mt Ranier is still my favorite mountain. There's nothing like rounding a bend on the highway on a summer morning morning and then **BAM** all the sudden there's Mt Ranier. I didn't even have a favorite mountain before Mt Ranier.

Now I will stop hijacking this thread. I am beyond delighted that someone is helping those animals who, as another poster said, did not choose to live there.

·
Registered
14,637 Posts

I recall that eruption! We felt it and had ash on our car.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
https://geology.com/usgs/rainier/

It last erupted in 1894-95, when small summit explosions were reported by observers in Seattle and Tacoma.

The Taal Volcano
volcanic lightning from Taal Volcano Jan. 12, 2020

Attachments

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We made it back home without further complications. The Manila airport was not crowded. I saw no ash at all on the ground at the airport or in the city. There was also no ash visible on the drive north to our place.

I suspect that the dense ash cloud blanketing most of Luzon and visible on radar was up in the jet stream and little of it fell in the northern areas.

Though photos and video from the area immediately surrounding the volcano are pretty scary.

The volcano is still at level 4 on the 5 point warning scale. Meaning that an explosive eruption could happen within hours or days.

The authorities have had time now to organize the cordon around the evacuation area. People are apparently no longer able to sneak in and check on their livestock.

The thing could drag on for quite a while. One of the worst eruptions lasted for about 6 months back in the 1700’s. That one covered 5 barangays (neighborhoods). Four of them were rebuilt farther back. One never revived. Of those 4 still existing, 3 are in their 5th location. The other is on its 2nd.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Good to hear you are home safe, and your place is secure.

Very concerning that the island has tilted...is the whole island formed by the volcano?

The whole world is changing

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m hearing that the threat level has dropped to 3, and some of the outlying areas are being reopened.

I also heard from an official local to us, that horses in that area are selling for as little as 3,000 pesos (roughly $60 US).

The health issues would make them largely unsuitable for our purposes. But the School of Veterinary Sciences at our local university has been looking for a horse to help train their students. I’m gonna ping them and see if they are interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.