The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm not showing or anything but the Udder Vampires (midges) eat them alive. I slather and wash them with salve regularly to give respite. Unfortunately it means their tails get covered in cream/gel and you can imagine the mess and breakage. Washing only does so much...

I was trying to find a post of someone braiding a tail but no luck. I want them to be able to swat flies still..

Any ideas?

· Registered
2,547 Posts
I have an answer for you - learned this while I was riding and showing Arabians still. This will give you an idea of how it's done: growing a long horse tail

Pretty much you braid the tail and utilize hay twine (or something similar) to create a swatter for them to use. The actual tail gets looped through itself and sealed inside of vet wrap. If you ever wondered how Arabians end up with those long tails that drag behind them on the show-ring, this is how!

· Registered
55 Posts
Hi all. I'm not showing or anything but the Udder Vampires (midges) eat them alive. I slather and wash them with salve regularly to give respite. Unfortunately it means their tails get covered in cream/gel and you can imagine the mess and breakage. Washing only does so much...

I was trying to find a post of someone braiding a tail but no luck. I want them to be able to swat flies still..

Any ideas?
I just use a Tail Bag. Doesn't matter what brand just make sure that it is long enough for your horses tail or not too long. BioMane has a really good tail bag but it is a bit pricey, it has a really simple velcro piece that goes into the tail that keeps it into place. It also has fringe on the end to help with the flies.

· Registered
17,000 Posts
How to put up a tail

This is how I do my horse's tails. I do NOT ever use MTG.

Or you can use a waterproof tail bag, Braid the tail, put it in the bag and it becomes an effective fly swat.

Schneiders Tail Bag

If you want to put the tail up, I use GuardTex, it's amazing stuff. GuardTex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.