The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attatched a photo of a tail braid that im supposed to put in for showing.

I have watched countless youtube videos, read books and tried it but i can't for the life of me get it to work.

Does anyone have any tips to make it easy or a way in which i can magically grow the ability to braid Curly's tail?

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
I attatched a photo of a tail braid that im supposed to put in for showing.

I have watched countless youtube videos, read books and tried it but i can't for the life of me get it to work.

Does anyone have any tips to make it easy or a way in which i can magically grow the ability to braid Curly's tail?

Well its essentially a french braid, ask a friend or relative to let you practice on them. I would take the outside hair on both sides and divide it then take the bulk that is inside the braid and put a ponytail on it to keep it out of your way. Use some horse detangler to keep the part that your braiding from getting all tangled up as you pull the pieces in to braid. Hope it helps ;-)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its essentially a french braid, ask a friend or relative to let you practice on them. I would take the outside hair on both sides and divide it then take the bulk that is inside the braid and put a ponytail on it to keep it out of your way. Use some horse detangler to keep the part that your braiding from getting all tangled up as you pull the pieces in to braid. Hope it helps ;-)
The only person i know with relatively long hair is me :p
The pony tail idea sounds good, next time she gets a bath i will try that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Practice practice practice :) even on yourself, if your hair is long enough. Mine looked so terrible when I first learned how. After a while they will look like the one in the picture

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
just practice.....ALOT!

if you go to this link it shows you how. How to Plait a Horse's Tail: 10 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow
also youtube- how to braid a horses tail and it should help you

one tip i would give you, so that the tail looks nice is to not have heaps thick sections of hair. just take little bits as big bits make the braid look tacky.

here are two pics of the same braid but one with small sections and one with large.( the large one is a tad over exagerated) you can guess what one looks smarter and more professional. even the pic you posted is too thick for my liking

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

The pic i posted is just a google photo,
the smaller looks much much nicer!

Thanks for the video too :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Aside from practice, could you get some sort of instrument to try at home? I remember when I was a kid learning to braid tails, my Mum gave me a bunch of her old wool. We cut it and bunched it together, secured it and I would practice it over and over. It's nicer on the hands than horse hair too - though it tangles sometimes and you can't use detangler on that, haha!

Good luck!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aside from practice, could you get some sort of instrument to try at home? I remember when I was a kid learning to braid tails, my Mum gave me a bunch of her old wool. We cut it and bunched it together, secured it and I would practice it over and over. It's nicer on the hands than horse hair too - though it tangles sometimes and you can't use detangler on that, haha!

Good luck!
Thats a good idea, we have tons of wool and string.

·
Registered
420 Posts
for some reason I've always had a knack for braiding tails (manes, however are a totally different story haha) but I suck at french plaiting human hair :S

-Take small chuncks (about half a cm max) right from the underside of the tail when the soft skin is.
-I also leave a little room between the chunks on the underside so the hair going round stays more horizontal further down the tail and neater (this is probably why I cant french braid a humans hair very well :lol: ).
-I cross the hair from the existing plait before I add the chunk from underneth so the main plait looks tighter and you can play around with the tightness of the added strands to keep the braid straight.
-Also stand directly behind the horse so it doesnt go all wonky (talk to them and be aware when doing grumpy horses!!).

The top is the hardest bit to look neat, so for shows I would use a tinsy bit of hair spray or styling get at the top to get it lying flat and without the spunky stray bits pointing out everywhere! If im just plaiting for the heck of it I dont bother neatening the top.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
for some reason I've always had a knack for braiding tails (manes, however are a totally different story haha) but I suck at french plaiting human hair :S
You and I have the exact same abilities haha! Only -just managed to braid human hair - after many years of failing!

I remember one time when I was still riding at a riding center and they held shows that the students could enter, and I was standing there plaiting about 5 different horse's tails because I had a knack for it... was asked to do manes too - but I was quick to avoid that disaster :lol:

·
Registered
420 Posts
You and I have the exact same abilities haha! Only -just managed to braid human hair - after many years of failing!

I remember one time when I was still riding at a riding center and they held shows that the students could enter, and I was standing there plaiting about 5 different horse's tails because I had a knack for it... was asked to do manes too - but I was quick to avoid that disaster :lol:
LOL me and one of friends were prepairing some of the stables ponies for an in-house competition (still VERY competitive!) and our instructor laughed at us because my tail was epic but my mane awful, and my friends tail disasterous but her mane brilliant! She said we shoulda done a sneeky horse swap halway through the plaiting process so both ends of out horses were good!!

Reactions: Cinder

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
Whatever you do do not use a detangler on the tail as this makes the hair slippery to keep in the plait.

It is a matter of practice and if you are doing it on your horse start lower down as often you can pull out the top hairs.

Start with a few hairs from either side and the third hair for the plait comes fro a lower side, no need to take anything from the centre.

I always do my braid so it is on the top - takes me about 10 minutes to do a tail right up like above for hunting.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
We used to just use water with a dandy brush to wet smooth the hair. We had to do the braid as the first pic but a little longer. The long braided end was then worked back up with a sweatscraper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts