The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently started bagging my horse's tail. He's been in his stall the past few days and I'm letting him out in the field tomorrow. I tried a mud knot today, but I dont think it's very healthy. Is there anything I can do to keep his tail up out of the dirt? I want to leave his bag off because I don't want to risk losing it in the field. Any sort of knots or braids I could do ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
You could try braiding it and then sewing the end up, but that wouldn't leave him much defense against flies. If his tail is hitting the ground, maybe you could just trim a couple inches and then braid it?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Vet-wrapped figure eight knots are the ONLY thing I'd consider using on a horse turned out during fly season, as it'll still leave tail hair to swish off bugs: CEO Performance Horses & Solo Farm
(I just Googled to find pics of my figure eight knot method, I have no knowledge of this farm.)

Figure eight knots will just keep most tails up high enough to prevent the horse from stepping on it and pulling hairs out. You vet wrap the knot to keep it knotted and to prevent the knot from getting caught on anything that could pull hair out.

·
Registered
435 Posts
you could make your own tail wraps so you dont have to worry about loosing them. im going to be making a couple tail wraps for my boy when he comes to my house! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've seen people make tail bags out of a cheap pair of tights (just cut the legs off)... I would go this route.. no need to worry if they lose it.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Just braid it and wrap it up. I agree a mud knot is not the best, don't do anything tight on his tail bone long term.

I do a braid starting below the dock. Wrap it up and loop it through and vet wrap. Make sure it won't be pulling on the dock at all, and leave it. Now this lasts awhile in the winter. Probably won't last so long in the summer, but if he only goes out at night I wouldn't hesitate to use it (fly spray though if you're in mosquito country!!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.