The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me about tail extensions? I'll need one for AQHA showing one day and I don't know what I need as far as length, weight, or how to put one on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Most tail extensions come with instructions & some refer you to a YouTube video. Google tail extensions & look at their websites for color selections, weight and other details. That is how I picked mine, results were excellent. I picked an extension from Tails By Kathy.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your horses tail is already thick, dont get anything over one pound. You could go for a half pound as well. If youd like the tail to look thicker you would choose anywhere from one to two pounds.. But make sure if you get the two pound tail, it doesnt look so obvious. The more hair you get, the more obvious it will be and you would be counted against that at shows.! Good luck:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh also, you want to match the thickness of his tail. So if his tail is thin, you could get a one pound so it adds fullness but doesnt look fake. If anyone wants to correct me please do! Ive been looking to get one for my dapple grey because the babies chewed it off before i got him! Also his tail is black grey and white so itd be so hard to match it exactly.

·
Super Moderator
26,362 Posts
Mine is a half pound. You want the blunt cut and the easiest to attach in my opinion is either the loop or the tie.

·
Super Moderator
26,362 Posts
That would be ok. I might get a pound this year as well. Ri was not yet a two year old when I bought his.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think a poud would be best for your horse as well:) as for length though, your probably going to want to get longgg. You could always cut it! And you should measure from where youd be tying it in, to howeveer long youd like it to be. To answer your question, I think that they probably feel that extra weight on there, but to be honest i doubt they really care that the fake tail is on. It is afterall only one pound, and they probably get used to it after a few minutes.

·
Super Moderator
26,362 Posts
I would think 36" would probably be ok. Your horse doesn't look to be super tall (15'2ish?)

Some horses are bothered by the tails, some aren't. I would attache it and ride in it before the day of the show. That way you'll know how to put it on and he'll get used to it.

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
The folks I've talked to at shows say to cut or pull a sample from the center of the tail, as close to the tail bone as you can get, and send that to them. I was told to measure from about 2 inches from the bottom of the tail bone down to the fetlocks to get length. You want to go pretty much from where you attach down to the fetlocks for length. I was going to wait a year before I ordered a tail for Skippy, you don't really need them at lower level type shows, and then someone 'trimmed' his tail with their teeth. Not going to have a choice now!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! My foal, Aeri, ate her mom's tail off. I'm taking Jazz to some shows within the next few months and have been trying to figure out the different weights/types of fake tails as I haven't used one before. Her tail is all the gone except on her tail bone. She looks HORRIBLE...Miss Aeri should be proud of herself...being so thorough. So from what I can gather a 2lb. would be best for her as she has none left? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,362 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! My foal, Aeri, ate her mom's tail off. I'm taking Jazz to some shows within the next few months and have been trying to figure out the different weights/types of fake tails as I haven't used one before. Her tail is all the gone except on her tail bone. She looks HORRIBLE...Miss Aeri should be proud of herself...being so thorough. So from what I can gather a 2lb. would be best for her as she has none left? Thanks!
Check the USEF rules on the weight of the tail. It might be illegal depending on where you show.

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
2 lbs is a LOT of tail. I wouldn't go over 1.5, in the show ring, they seem to be trending away from the huge fake tails of years past. They seem to be going for more natural looking and 1.5 to 2 lbs almost always looks pretty fake. Even if your horse has no tail, I wouldn't go that heavy. I went to World Champs this year and spoke with several vendors and they showed me the different weights of tails and even unwashed, so unfluffed, the 2 lbs were very big.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts