The Horse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my horses monthly tail bag change today! I just cut his tail a couple inches off of the ground around 3 weeks ago and it is already dragging the ground again lol.
Horse Mammal Grey Working animal Liver

This is before I took it out. It was really matted this time because he swishes his tail a lot at flys. It took me around 30 mins just to brush it out haha.
Horse Fawn Snout Wood Tail

This is after I brushed it out. I put alot of condition in it to help get the tangles out. It helped but not alot.
Leg Plant Wood Paint Petal

I finally finished and put his tail bag back in. Do you guys use tail bags? I have used them for about 2 years and have noticed alot of difference in his tail growth/quality.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not use a tail bag. I do not show, and their tales are their fly swatters. lol. I do not like the tails hitting the ground as they pick up stickers to easily. I will cut mine to pastern length , so the hit the bottom of the joint.
I cut his hair every time I redo his tail. I also do not like their tail hitting the ground because they step on it and pull more out than they already do. :)

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
Show horses usually have very long tails. very groomed. You do not want a stained tail.
I have two horses who have been shown extensively (winning more first places than I can count, and division championships, even a year -end overall championship). We wash the tails, condition and groom before a show. My daughter's main show horse for the last 6 years had a white tail so I know all about stains. Vinegar and purple shampoo work great to get those stains out. We don't keep tail bags on them except the night before the show, after it has been washed. The rest of the time, our horses are allowed to live like horses and their tails are only trimmed a little on the bottom if necessary, but otherwise, left au naturel. I'm not a fan of bubble wrapping a horse and keeping it from living its best outdoor life just so it can look pretty for a show.

My daughter and her show horse:

Horse Plant Equestrian helmet Helmet English pleasure

How he lives the other 360 days of the year when he's not going to a show:

Plant Horse Tree Grazing Grass

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two horses who have been shown extensively (winning more first places than I can count, and division championships, even a year -end overall championship). We wash the tails, condition and groom before a show. My daughter's main show horse for the last 6 years had a white tail so I know all about stains. Vinegar and purple shampoo work great to get those stains out. We don't keep tail bags on them except the night before the show, after it has been washed. The rest of the time, our horses are allowed to live like horses and their tails are only trimmed a little on the bottom if necessary, but otherwise, left au naturel. I'm not a fan of bubble wrapping a horse and keeping it from living its best outdoor life just so it can look pretty for a show.

View attachment 1133418

View attachment 1133419
Horse Plant Tree Fence Working animal
Horse Plant Working animal Tree Sky

My horse also gets to live like a horse haha. Just because I chose to keep his tail in a bag does not mean that I keep him "bubble wrapped". I'm glad that you have something that works for you. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,465 Posts
I too have a gray who is retired from everything but being a content pasture pet today. As we think about 32 years I no longer worry about keeping the stains away...:cautious:
His tail is free and loose all the time, trimmed every few weeks and does drag just the tip of it when he is standing still...otherwise he has a natural low arch and his tail is about at his fetlock base. Thick is a understatement too.
If he was in work and showing I would still not bag it but it would be stain-free, now he doesn't care so neither do I.😁

Personal preference to what is done and why is everyone's right and choice.
As long as it is cared for as you do, if it meets your needs, then go for it.
Only thing I can say is those tail bags hurt when you get whacked with them...like a wiffle ball bat hurt...stings!

Note to self:
Self, stay away from swinging tails no matter how they are kept...they inflict ouches when swung with force! :rolleyes:
🐴....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I too have a gray who is retired from everything but being a content pasture pet today. As we think about 32 years I no longer worry about keeping the stains away...:cautious:
His tail is free and loose all the time, trimmed every few weeks and does drag just the tip of it when he is standing still...otherwise he has a natural low arch and his tail is about at his fetlock base. Thick is a understatement too.
If he was in work and showing I would still not bag it but it would be stain-free, now he doesn't care so neither do I.😁

Personal preference to what is done and why is everyone's right and choice.
As long as it is cared for as you do, if it meets your needs, then go for it.
Only thing I can say is those tail bags hurt when you get whacked with them...like a wiffle ball bat hurt...stings!

Note to self:
Self, stay away from swinging tails no matter how they are kept...they inflict ouches when swung with force! :rolleyes:
🐴....
haha, I think Max (my horse) hits me with his tail on purpose sometimes 😂.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I never understood this either. Why not just let the tail serve its natural purpose as a fly swatter?
What about if you slather nappy cream on their undercarriage - its a disaster I tell you 😅 Also gets shorter from breakage. I am gonna try this and maybe install some more lethal fly swatters (twine)...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're not alone - I tap my mare, I GET WHIPPED BACK! My other mare assaults me with it when picking back feet. I was hesitating on doing a tail bag for the first time but you inspired me to go ahead and try it...
Good luck with trying it, I hope you like them. As you can see people are pretty split about using them but I personally have no issues with tail bags. I have also tied twine to the bottom of mine in the past. I liked the twine but it was a hassle to do and it kept falling out so I gave up 😂

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Get a tail bag with fringe on bottom part helps with swishing bugs. I personally don't use tail bags my horses tail get really long an drags the ground.

This summer he's some how managed to lose shorten his tail by a good 4 inch's. He's palomino so white mane an tail get stained dirty nothing a good washing doesn't fix.

For most part it looks pretty white even when it hasn't been washed. Here's a tail bag with fringe most online catalogs have them.
Cosmetics Brush Paint brush Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 1133418

View attachment 1133419
As a mare owner and mine was a 4 time state champion and 5 time honor roll horse. I took a sheet, cut it into three connected strips and weaved it into the tail after a bath and conditioning. Kept the urine stains to a minimum and for fly swatting she didn't mind it. She did love her grooming day. Shocks were clipped and corn starched, white hoofs were painted black ( quarter horse quirk from years ago. Bunch of my grooming tricks were learned at Arab shows
Horse Working animal Tree Horse tack Halter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts