My 16 yr old gelding has been rubbing his tail for the past 7 months since I moved him to a new barn. He started rubbing within minutes of arriving, and does it on a daily basis, and continues to have a bald spot. I'm worried it's a health problem and I'm not sure what to do about it. I've tried almost everything.
- he is on a daily worming program with boosters at 6 month intervals
- his sheath is cleaned regularly
- moved him in August and it's lasted through the winter so it's not a seasonal allergy or bug
- he is on daily turnout and gets exercised regularly
- I've tried MTG, cortisone cream, and a prescription anti-itch cream from the vet (none of these worked)
WHAT CAN BE CAUSING HIM TO DO THIS?
He has lived at a handful of barns in his life, and has only had this problem once before. It was at a barn in a different state with a completely different climate, but I think the stall he was in at the time may have been built from the same type of wood. Could it be a wood allergy?