The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gelding has rubbed a spot very thin on his tail yet I've never seen him actually rub it. I don't notice any worms (he's stalled at night so I see just his poop) and his sheath doesn't seem dirty. We have had really hot, dry, buggy weather. He has small bumps on the side of his hips that almost look like bug bites. I looked his tail over tonight and the tailbone itself looks dry and flaky. Tonight I put Corona cream (it was all I had) on it and he definitely liked me rubbing the cream in. Has anyone experienced this before or have suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
One of my mares rubs her tail in the summer only — breaks off some of the top hairs (not a good look).

I discovered it wasn’t the tail that was itchy but it was in between her back legs. If I stay diligent with keeping the area dry she lays off scratching.

·
Super Moderator
16,874 Posts
Ticks...you have deer ticks aka lymes carriers, wood ticks that can embed in a tail bone area undected and create exactly what you describe and worse...
Check very carefully the entire tailbone area for anything not looking just right...
There are also some flies/worms and their larvae that burrow into skin...hence looking very carefully is so important.

It could be just dry, flaky skin and rubbing a soothing cream in helps much.
If it is that, I would add a bit of oil to the food for skin/coat health and see if it helps...it will take a few weeks to see big differences but things like dandruff or dander, those white patches of dead skin cells, will lessen or go totally away tells you it is working.
Everyone seems to like something different for skin/coat health so a bit of investigating what products are affordable and easily had in your area is a must.
Good luck.
🐴...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
My mare rubs her tail in summer. I used to use an itching relief Pharamacare spray and it worked like a charm but they stopped producing it so I am looking for something to replace it at the moment. All of that is to say those sprays work.

I am currently using baby oil diluted water in a spray bottle and it somewhere works - she still rubs a bit but not enough to remove all of her hair.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I appreciate it! I bought banixx to help soothe the skin and I'll investigate the tailbone more. I have a horse with Lyme so I'm not sure why ticks weren't on my radar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts