Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have an AQH gelding who all winter I have been keeping his tail up in a literal crew sock and electrical taped into a bundle. It is very similar to the vet wrapping method of putting up a tail except it is much cheaper and easier. However, with summer rolling in and flies starting to emerge, I was looking for another way to keep his tail in good condition while also allowing him to have a fly swatter. In a month we are headed to my summer job where he is a trail guiding horse and will be running out in rough country, so I need something that will be tough. He is not destructive in the slightest and will not allow other horses close enough to tear anything out of his tail, I am just more concerned with all the sage brush and greenery getting caught up in anything. I have also contemplated just leaving it in a braid down but I do not know how well that would preserve his tail. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
What about a tail sock that you can braid into the tail w/fringes on it?

Reactions: Filou

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about a tail sock that you can braid into the tail w/fringes on it?
I have considered that but I am afraid they lycra type fabric would get caught up and shredded on the sagebrush almost immediately. I have never used one of those socks though so they may be tougher than I am imagining, but I don't want to have something braided into his tail that will get caught up in brush and do more harm than good.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wild horses go through sagebrush all the time and have nice tails so why don't you just leave his tail loose??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When we kept the horses' tails up we would attach "swatters" to the tail bag/sock. Typically we used string from the hay bales.
This is smart! I could make that work with how I already do it.

Wild horses go through sagebrush all the time and have nice tails so why don't you just leave his tail loose??

Haha I wish my horse would keep a nice tail like that on his own! He breaks his off pretty bad in the summer sagebrush or not from swatting flies 24/7, and since I am showing him now he needs to look presentable when we get back from our summer adventures.

This is what a number of cowhorse people do:

There are variations of this, but it works well. Warrick Schiller has a video on it:

How to keep your horse's tail looking great!
Ahh that is brilliant! Thank you I am going to have to do this!

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
This is what I use:

https://tailboot.com/collections/frontpage/products/2nd-generation-tail-boot

I love these! I keep Hooey's tail up in one all winter because he has such of a thick, long tail it gets frozen and dirty. I can keep it in the about for months at a time with no issues.
It doesn't get hung up in the brush or trees when I ride. And it comes with a baling twine fly swatter.

Picture of his tail after it was in the boot for 4 months. No washing, just brushed out.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I use:

https://tailboot.com/collections/frontpage/products/2nd-generation-tail-boot

I love these! I keep Hooey's tail up in one all winter because he has such of a thick, long tail it gets frozen and dirty. I can keep it in the about for months at a time with no issues.
It doesn't get hung up in the brush or trees when I ride. And it comes with a baling twine fly swatter.

Picture of his tail after it was in the boot for 4 months. No washing, just brushed out.
I may or may not have just accidentally ordered one :shrug: whoops

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I may or may not have just accidentally ordered one :shrug: whoops
Funny how that happens..lol!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It is the lowest maintenance thing I've found for maintaining tails.
I've used the vet wrap, lycra braid ins, bags, tube sock, which all are great if you re-do them every week or every couple weeks. The Tail boot I've left in for months, negative temps in the winter, summer for quite a while. But the key is to use the right sized boot and keeping it tight on the tail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.