The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really want my girl to get a little more lenght in her tail any ideas?
i braid it and than take it out and spray hair moisterizer in it and brush it through, when i ride her she hold her tail up thats why i want it longer :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Her tail is already beautiful, long, and thick. It would probably drag on the ground if it got any longer, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
yes i agree, it already is gorgeously long and thick.
if you went any longer, the thing is you could get you're horse hurt because she could trip on it, or she would also most likely pull or rip it off.

·
Registered
370 Posts
No messing with it is helpful - brushing it every day is just going to pull and break hairs.

I think it would help to trim it up a little. I think that when the bottom is even that the tail actually looks longer, thicker, and healthier. Trimming just an inch or so won't make it look shorter, but it will make it look better.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I agree, if her tail is any longer when she is backing up she may step on it. Honestly I would trim off a couple of inches on the bottom, make is straight, which will give it a really nice finished look without being dangerous to your horse.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I cut my mares tail to about her fetlocks. Speaking of I think shes over due. I never let it get to the ground. Judges like to see nicely kept tails that arent dragging and getting in the way.

Like everyone said, leave it alone. If you do want it to get longer then the ground bag it up, but you'll need to do that all the time.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
thanks guys, her tail doesnt actually touch the ground maybe 2 more inches and it would, i wish she didnt hold her tail up :( but i refuse in tail clipping its CREWL!
that tail thing confuses me??? i have never met a horse that could care less about having a trimmed tail :D
if you do want it longer, put it in a tailbag, then only take it out when it needs to be re-done, even then only re-braid it and put the bag back on, brush at less as possible and use lots of detangler when you do

·
Registered
370 Posts
that tail thing confuses me??? i have never met a horse that could care less about having a trimmed tail :D

I think when the OP said that she thought that tail clipping was cruel she was talking about some sort of surgical procedure - like tail docking - to keep the horse from holding her tail up. I don't think she has a problem with trimming the hair part of the tail. :wink:

·
Registered
2,747 Posts

I think when the OP said that she thought that tail clipping was cruel she was talking about some sort of surgical procedure - like tail docking - to keep the horse from holding her tail up. I don't think she has a problem with trimming the hair part of the tail. :wink:
lol ok!! bahaha thanks for clearing that one up, i didnt even think of the docking or anything...haha

·
Registered
310 Posts
if you want it to grow more, braid it and put it in a tail bag. Seriously. I put my guys tail in a bag and its grown an inch already in 3-4 weeks. Put some conditioner in it and leave it. Only take it out once a week max to re condition it. If you want it to grow and grow, you will have to keep it braided and off the ground to prevent her from stepping on it. She has a beautiful tail btw!

·
Registered
965 Posts
OMG I am a long tail fanatick!! lol. I love long tails and manes and I think your horse has a beautiful tail!! I think I got my girls tail exactly where I want it too, it's about an inch or a little more from the ground, but I also don't want it to drag either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts