The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
So my current horse is getting older (17) and I keep thinking I may be pushing him too hard... so I keep looking for a younger horse. I'm looking for an all arounder. I do team penning, huntseat, driving and trail riding. Nothing rated, mostly local competitions. I want a horse that has conformation that's going to hold up over time. What do you think of this guy? He's a 3 y.o. QH gelding.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
He's very post legged. Not good for long term soundness. He's downhill. I think he'd be a nice horse if he had different back legs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The picture was removed because it was from a social media site. Here is a video I got today. Not me riding. He looks like he could be too western pleasure type? Is the fact that he's posty in the hind end the reason that he seems short strided? What do you think? Unfortunately I don't have any other pictures at the moment...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I don't like him. I can't pin point it but he doesn't look completely sound to me either...

Reactions: Clava

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I don't like him either. Pretty? Sure, But something seems...."off".
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: smrobs

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
The video has very clearly been edited. about 10 times during the film (perticularly badd in canter) several frames have been removed. I would want to know why!!!

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I'm with everyone else with the added comment that he is very HEAVY on her hands. She's constantly bumping him off her inside hand. Having ridden a horse like that (love him but BOY he's a work out to ride), I would not buy another horse that is that heavy on the hand.

·
Registered
492 Posts
He looks lame t me, like hs hip and shoulders are out of whack.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree something seems off. It looks like his hips or maybe his back could be out...and I didn't like the way the rider had to sea saw his face to keep him in frame. He's not using his hi ndquarters correctly
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I don't really like him either. While I can't say for certain whether or not he's showing lameness just based on that one video (he may just be a really bad mover), I don't like his training. He's heavy on her hands and has no idea how to carry himself.

If he's sound, you'd still be looking at pretty substantial re-training and even then, he still would probably be a chore to ride.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I think he's pretty, but pretty will only get you so far.

I'm wondering why you think 17 is too old? xD

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for telling me all of the things that I needed to hear! I thought many of them myself and was honestly pretty turned off when I got the video.. but that horse sure takes a pretty picture! So much chrome!
His price has dropped to $750 and she would've taken my current horse as a trade (for her bf who wants his own horse). I can only have one horse on the farm that I work/live at anyways. I do want a young horse that I can finish my way but I am also obsessed with my current horse. He's older but he's amazing. He doesn't have the best conformation and has several significant melanomas which makes me think that he won't be useful for a lot longer (although it's gonna have to be at least 6 more years since you all shot down the prospect!) As much as I like the idea of getting a youngster, realistically I could never part with my "Moon". I get anxious just thinking about it. I'll never find another horse like him and I know I would regret giving him up for the rest of my life. That horse just does something to me...he's my best bud, my heart horse.
Thank you all for offering your opinions! It is much appreciated! I feel better knowing that you all don't think that I'm passing up on something that as good his pictures look...

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Zexious is right, 17 is still rather young and unless the melanomas are interfering with tack (those can be removed surgically), then they are likely nothing more than an eye-sore. Most gray horses end up with them eventually but very few actually die from them. We used to have an old gray mare we called Frosty. She was in her 30s when she died and was still fat and happy but had a significant amount of melanomas under her tail and around her udder.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Pass, 17 isn't ancient - geez horses are still competing at the Olympics until their late teens.

Perhaps casually start looking around for a new horse, but don't let yourself be blinded by 'prettiness'.
Would you REALLY want your beloved current horse to go to a rider like that on the video?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't help but think that my guy is kinda old because he is by far the oldest horse I've ever owned. My experience with older horses is limited. I'm not really sure what to expect over the next few years... I've also never had a horse die while I owned them and to be honest with you, the idea of that scares me more than anything!
He has one melanoma that is starting to get in the way of his tack (it's a parotid gland melanoma and it's right below his ear about the size and shape of a half a pear). I'm not worried about not being able to use a bridle on him if it gets a lot bigger (I could easily just use his rope halter) but the vet said that it could eventually make swallowing difficult for him... that's the part I worry about.
...and no I would NOT want him to go to someone with hands like that girl! I'm not the best rider but seeing someone with such an insensitive riding style makes me cringe!
An here's a picture of my boy...just because he's so cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
17 is positivly young.
I recently went through a patch where I lost several horses, 1 aged 19 to colic, 1 aged 20 to a ruptured diaphragm, 1 age 28 to old age.
All were still in full work upto the day they died. the 28yr old had been slowed down to hacking only but he was fit as a fiddle, fat and happy, the rest were still being competed!

Oh and I still have my 32yr old 12.2hh first pony!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.