The Horse Forum banner

Tantrum in the arena

2769 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  garlicbunny
Today, I wanted to ride in the arena for a little while (we usually do trails). My boy was not in the mood apparently and threw a little tantrum about it. He wasn't responding very well and I did not feel like I had good control. He did some hops and a tiny rear. Being a novice, misbehavior does scare me. I made him take a few more steps and just sat for a few minutes, so that he would not think that behaving that way would cause me to dismount. Then I led him to the round pen and lunged him for a few minutes to make sure that he didn't think his work was done.

What do you do in this situation? He's mostly a good boy, but occasionally he acts up. Did I do the right thing or should I have made him go around the arena? Sometimes he does this just as we are leaving the barn, but will settle down when we get moving along the trail.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
51,795 Posts
I think you got good advice from TU. If you can ride throught the temper tantrum, and it sounds like that is what's going on here, then do so. But if you cannot, then don't go to the place where you horse offers that battle, because you cannot win, and every time he offers that battle, and you dont' take him up on it and win, then it reinforces the reward for offering that battle. So, either meet him and beat him. or dont' let him create that scenario in the first place, Thus, preride lunging or working him in the arena just up to the point where he starts to fight back, then change and do something else.
That only postpones the need to have that little "come to Jesus" meeting with him, which if you have a trainer help you, will be more guaranteed to be successful and need only be done once, hopefully.

· Premium Member
51,795 Posts
Waydago! Next time, all you'll have to do is show him that rein out of the corner of his eye, and he'll go for you. Just be aware that it's ok to "threaten" a little (i.e. showing him the whip, without actually striking him) IF he responds. If one demonstration does not get a real change, then wait NO more than a secone, a half second, and smack him to make sure he knows it's real. Threatening, and threatening and blustering and such , without proof of impact, will only make your horse up his dare.
Growls are good tools~!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.