The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
oooooohhhhh, I HATE those little horsey tantrums. But, I LOVE this thread!!

I went with my two barn owners for a trail ride on Saturday. Because of a completely unrelated issue, Sam is now riding in a hackamore and this was our first trail ride in the hack (mostly we have been doing indoor controlled riding using it). Because this can be harsher than a bit, I am nervous about making any strong corrections. I am also worried about his reaction should I.

The grass down here is still green in areas and as we were walking across the field to the first trail head, he decided he was going to stop and munch. Which is a no-no under saddle.

So I gave him a head correction using the reins and nickered to keep moving and and and, he threw a fit!!! He stomped his front hoof. He bobbed his head. He put the brakes on.

Okay, in my world, it was a fit. By my barn owner's perception, Sam was fine. Huh. Didn't feel fine way up there.

I wish I had read this thread last week. I didn't think to make him work circles. I didn't think to make him work or pull his head over to my knee to disengage his bum.

All I could think about was calming his down and making him stop his erratic behavior.

Great ideas everyone. Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.