The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my five year old TB mare, ellie. i'm not too good with conformation so i was wondering if anyone saw any potential soundness issues. she won't stand square for the life of me so these are as good as it gets :p thanks!

(she's not sickle hocked - she was just standing weird)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm not a conformation expert, but I'll give it a go. She appears to be built down hill, looks to have sickle hocks in every pictures, seems to toe out in both fronts in the one picture and something seems really off about her front pasterns. they seem to have too little angle to them(what is the opposite of an upright pastern?), but maybe its just me/the pictures. Without better photos(standing square, taken parallel to the horse from a lower angle) I cant really say much.

as far as soundness goes, what are you doing with her?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she is built a little down hill. in real life - she's not sickle hocked - i think it's just the pictures and the way the ground was is (it's down hill and kinda uneven). i had my hands full and had no one to hold her for me. i'll try to get her standing square tomorrow!

i'm planning on making her a low level event horse as she seems to be really talented with it..

·
Registered
191 Posts
"Whatcha doin' boss?" She's got a very cute expression.

Yes, we need pictures of both sides taken square on at the level of the horse's barrel. She looks to me like she's standing under herself in the hind, but I'm not sure at those angles.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm not great with conformation, but her pasterns worry me a little. They seem long and overly angled. Could have something to do with the way/place she's standing though.

She's cute and looks like a sweet mare. I wouldn't want to stand still with all those flies...

As a side note: PLEASE don't tie your horse by her bit like that! it can cause terrible accidents and with the way you have the reins looped around the fence, then connected back to the bit, you would have no way other than cutting to get her loose if she pulled back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the reins are clip ons and the opposite side isn't clipped on to the bit - just ran through it so she would stand and then changed around when i took the other side picture :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.