The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had taken on another horse and this little guy for some reason doesn't respect fences. I've had him for about 3-4 months now. My other horses never bother with the fencing. This little guy seems to try jumping, racing and kicking at it. There is plenty of pasture and access to hay and water at all times. He's ran through the fence several times now and he's the only one who is doing it. Then he runs through another part because he's seperated from the other horse and she will not follow him out. It's a wire fence. I've taped it so he sees the fence I've tried using poles boards and he just doesn't care. He is an awsome horse who respects me when working with him or when I'm in the pasture but it's just that fence. I'm worried about his safety and how to teach him not to touch or run or anything to the fence. I only have lean two and pasture. I don't barn keep my horses. The owner before him kept him in stall partially and pasture the other half. With same fencing but less pasture??. Any ideas what to do with him?
Posted via Mobile Device

· Administrator
37,343 Posts
Electric tape will usually stop them running into it but a determined horse will soon learn to jump it which I can vouch for from experience so you might have to raise it a few feet using taller stakes
We're sold this idea that all horses love the natural life out in the field 24/7 - but a horse that isn't used to doing that frequently doesn't appreciate the whole natural thing - biting bugs, hot sun, heavy rain etc etc regardless of how much grass there is out there he previously had a routine that he was clearly happy and relaxed with
If you don't stall your horses then he's just going to have to learn to tough it out but he's going to get very stressed about it until he does so might need a course of ulcer treatment

· Registered
12,003 Posts
The horse is used to being out..

I would suggest trying to figure out WHY he does this. There is a reason however obscure.

Agree with electric. The jumping I am more concerned about though I guess just make it "unjumpable AND untryable"

· Registered
17,286 Posts
My Shetland mare loved to escape, like a source of accomplishment for her. She never went far and never caused any damage. For some reason her smarts seemed to fail her when it came grain time and she had to be inside the fence to get hers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.