The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i guess this would be the apropirate area to post this. I'm going to start teaching one of the family friends (she's like my lil sis) daughters to ride. I'm no expert, and I learned to ride by being thrown up there, but i have been told by a trainer that I am a very good rider and know how to respond to a horse very well. But I'm scared I will forget to teach her something. So I'm asking yall for a "list" sorta of what you would teach and what you consider the most important things. I have worked for a trainer with wild "never been touched" horses so I know a bit about being safe around horses. I'm mainly looking for tips for when she's riding since I have never had "formal" lessons. I might not be able to eplain to her what I want her to do? Idk what I'm trying to say lol. And I'm sorry its so long.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I sould say toes in and heals down. Teach her how to hold the reins (as far as hand position and amount of tension if any on reins). Back straight with shoulders back. How will you be teaching her to ride...english or western?

Whichever it is, GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
western. I have never ridden english though I would like to try it. I'm OBSESSIVE about keeping heels down. It;s the thing that bothers me most and if I see someone riding with their heels in the air I automatically assume they have no idea what their doing ( I know its wrong to assume, but it's just my pet peev) Thank you for your suggestions!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm kind of like you, I hate seeing the heels up. Another one of my pet peeves is seeing the toes stuck out (perpindicular to the horse). It's almost like they're begging to have their ankle broken by a sapling or fence post.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
things to teach first(remember to teach gradually, it will/may take a while for her to get used to it):
once knows how to hold reins: teach the "whoa", left, right(not neckreining yet, wait a few weeks)
not to hold the horn. I find when the reins are in both hands, they don't have an extra hand to flail around or grab the horse with unless absolutely necessary
-hey, the horn has saved me a few times when I slipped off during the early stages,lol-

then teach heels down, and stuff like that. once she knows/does all those automatically, then teach her how to feel the right leads and more tech. stuff.

but do you want to know what you should start the first(at least) 5 lessons with? Teaching how to lead, longe, groom, saddle, bridle, and load into trailer(opt.) first, before you even start from the saddle. Once she is comfy with that, then start riding,lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.