The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of a horse that has a middle tear in her stifle. The horse who has the tear is a 4 year old Hanoverian/TB. Do you guys know if there is anyway to help heal the tear, and what are the effects of the torn stifle?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Permanent lameness, as far as I know. With good rehab and drastic treatment the prognosis for paddock soundness is fair....

This is really a question for a vet with radiographs, an ultrasound and the horse infront of him.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It depends, do you know how bad the tear is? If not, it's best to bring a vet in for this situation. If you end up getting lucky and on the mending end of things, I know that backing up exercises are pretty good for working a stifle, so that could be a therapy thing that you do. good luck!

·
Banned
810 Posts
Drifter had a small tear in what I believe was referred to as his lateral meniscus. 6 months rest off work. 2 months stall rest, 4 months small paddock rest. He is sound now for riding but it did limit his abilities and what we are now able to do. I also live in fear of coming out one day and noticing something not quite right with that stifle again. Get a vet out ASAP. NOT something to mess around with
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.