The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've been feeding him better, Teddy's hooves seem to have gotten a lot better. But yesterday I found the back hoof like this. Should I be worried? I know that the hoof wall sometimes flakes off, but this seems like a pretty big chunk, and pretty high up. I don't know if you could tell from the picture, but the thickness of the piece that's coming off is like the thickness of shoe box cardboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
looks like he caught it on something, and it got scraped loose.

More concerning to me is the way his hooves are growing out at the top. The hoof wall does not look healthy and smooth...

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks like he caught it on something, and it got scraped loose.

More concerning to me is the way his hooves are growing out at the top. The hoof wall does not look healthy and smooth...
I think that's just mud. It was super wet and they all came in with mud boots on. I scraped some of it off with my own boots but didn't do too good of a job. I think it's just that plus the poor photos. I'll double check next time I'm out, though.

Thanks!

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
That is mud you say? Could be I guess; our mud is orange, so not used to grey mud...but if you have grey mud it could be mud. :think:

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
^Haha! After going in the dam here, which used to be filled with iron rich bore water, our horses & dogs come out with BLACK mud on them, smelling like rust.

Agree AC that it looks like just a 'chip'. Just lop it off. It could have been that he just stepped on something sharp that tore it off, or it could have been weak, perhaps separated underneath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.