The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jinxx is loosing his baby teeth and is teething. He is chewing on everything he can get his teeth onto. This includes our other horse. He keeps nipping at her and will not leave her alone. I don't want to keep him in his stall all the time time, but I also don't want him biting at Angel constantly and leaving sores. I have a jug with a bunch of rocks tied to the rail for him to chew on and he does play with it from time to time. I also have a jolly ball and and big inflatable ball for him, but he shows no interest in them. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Yup, do what my mom did -- she rubbed alcohol on our gums! LOL

Seriously though, I think you have done well with providing other choices for him. The other horse is apparently a very tolerant soul; most horses at some point will pointedly tell the little nibbler to buzz off.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Angel is pretty tolerant of him. She does kick at him from time to time, but he is never really fazed by it. Like I said before I really don't want him nipping at her and giving her sores. He gave her a nice big sore right where the back of the saddle sits and that is just now completely healed. I just want to give him more options of stuff to chew on and hopefully get Angel to be one of the last ones.

I have also noticed him being generally more nippy than before. He is always chewing on the leads, trying to chew on me (I slap him, but he doesn't really seemed too fazed by it), when I pony him he is always trying to chew on the reins, and in general he has just been more of juvenile.

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
Have you tried providing more hay to keep him chewing on that instead of your mare?

I never had a youngster that bit but a lot of them went through a tail chewing stage. I used to get so mad when I went to the barn and saw what used to be a ground dragging tail chewed clear up to their hocks. I'd buy a jar of jalapenos and pour the juice into a spray bottle and top it off with white vinegar and then keep the tails sprayed until the habit was broken. Worked on every chewer but one and he liked it. Even tried straight jalapeno juice just on the ends and that didn't faze him either. After looking around in desperation for anything that would taste nasty to him my eyes landed on a jar of Vicks Vapor Rub. It worked, made the tail a mess for a while but that was better than no tail.

Caught in the act! He'd already had his way with TJ's tail and was working on Cloud's before the Vicks put a stop to it.

I don't think you'd want the pepper juice on your mare's skin so maybe just try spraying her down with white vinegar or a diluted liniment. If that doesn't work try something else that's really stinky, but won't hurt her, so the smell makes him back off before he goes for a bite. I can't think of anything at the moment but if something comes to me I'll post it later. Maybe all of us can put our thinking caps on.

By the way, has he been gelded? If not it might be time if your planning on not keeping him intact. If you are then it might be time to separate him from mares.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Angel has white fur and gets sunburned pretty easily. If I sprayed the vinegar on he would that act like coconut oil and burn when it's in the sun? Also he is already gelded. And he has been gelded for over a year. For now we're keeping them separated, but I don't want to leave him in his stall all day. I've also noticed that when he is locked in his stall he just stands there and paws.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
I wouldn't think that the vinegar would act the same as oil but I don't know that for sure. It should just dry on her coat and hopefully leave behind the odor.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
My guess is your boy is bored because he has no one his age to play with! He's just trying to get attention from your mare by annoying her, much like little human boys pulling girls pigtails, lol. Toys aren't a substitute for proper socialization, but I know not everyone has the option for like-age pasture mates.

Youngsters are often nippy with people and other horses, because they are verifying their place on the totem pole, too. Probably not the case with your herd of 2, but he's definitely testing you out. Make sure he knows you are his boss; swatting him for nipping is just going to make him nip back, so try making him move his feet forward/backward/wherever you say the second he nips to reinforce you are the boss and he must do what you say.

Giving him a "job" may help - whether it's lunging, ground driving, riding, leading on a walk down the road, leading thru an obstacle course of poles, bridges, barrels, cones - anything to give his brain a chance to try something other than spending his days looking for his own sources of entertainment.

Reactions: Foxhunter
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.