The Horse Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It took my farrier three trimmings to fix Dancer's feet. She had gone for years without hoof care when I got her (So had DJ, but for some reason he didn't have any problems and got by with just an ordinary trim). We keep our guys barefoot - they are basically just ridden in the pasture and on a few trails when they are ridden. The only time Dancer was sore after a trim was this last time. Farrier admitted he got a bit agressive with her trim. He also found where she had apparently had an abcess that had blown some time back. She was only sore for about four days. Not lame, just a little tender footed on the hoof that had had the abcess. After the first couple of trims, her feet kind of looked like bells due to the flaring. According to the farrier, all that had to grow out before it would look normal - but now she has pretty feet!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Tell your farrier to put shoes on with side clips on them it helps to hold that crack together. IME I have better results hand drawning my own clips with a crack like nelson's i would draw a clip between the first and second nail hole of the shoe and fit the shoe propperly.
You should see a huge differrence in a few shoeings

21 - 22 of 22 Posts