The Horse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That is an Arabian horse talking! :rofl: :charge:
A few weeks ago she DID trot away with me on her back as a humble passenger... nothing to wild, just not in the direction I wanted to go in especially since I was going for "stop" and not "trot"... no harm done though and it taught me a lesson about not jumping on something I'm not ready for yet :lol:

I am so sorry to hear that :( I read about him on your journal. It's always hard with any animal but there's something especially traumatic about having to let a horse go.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My first ride was on a horse named Dusty, an Appaloosa at a public trail ride place in my home town. I rode double with my dad, and sat in front of him on the saddle and just held on to the horn. This place did full hour-long walk, trot, and canter rides, in big groups, too, so I got all the basic gaits on my very first ride!! I was probably... four or five?

My first SOLO ride was a couple of years later, at the same place, on a buckskin mare named Biscuit. I was probably... six or seven?

I can still remember the smell and feel of those rides!

(This was in the mid-to-late 1980s. No helmets, no real rules, and I'm amazed everyone made it out of that place alive, LOL.)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
(This was in the mid-to-late 1980s. No helmets, no real rules, and I'm amazed everyone made it out of that place alive, LOL.)
It's still like that a lot around here still lol Lots of people who learn by just jumping on and going and I just couldn't. I did kind of at the beginning with a little guidance, but I needed some additional help so I luckily found it. Just a few weekends ago though my aunt saddled her gelding and said "Do you want to ride him?" (We all love this gelding, he has a very good temperament on the ground and is really the only horse in my aunt's group that really REALLY craves human attention.) I politely declined. Internally I was thinking: "No. No I do not want to ride this horse who has not been ridden since the end of last Summer/early Fall when I've not even seen him under saddle yet." :rofl:

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that :( I read about him on your journal. It's always hard with any animal but there's something especially traumatic about having to let a horse go.
I think in part it's that they are so big, and everything is therefore amplified. And that you can't put them in a shoebox like a cat, and tuck them under your arm, and bury them under your apple tree.

Me too! :rofl: Or wait, maybe I fell off, cracked my head, and am now really a zombie? Like in "Pride And Prejudice With Zombies"! :cool:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
My grandfather gave us a Shetland pony, named Nugget, when I was six years old. My father coached us on how to ride while he led us around, and all of it made sense to me. After a few days, it was decided that it was time to ride him on my own. It never occurred to me, that a Shetland pony's stubby little neck was a lot stronger than a six year old boy's arms. I took one rein in each hand, and gave his ribs a good thump with my feet. Nugget took off with that teeth rattling trot that ponies are famous for. About a quarter of the way around the yard, I felt myself leaning to the left. I tried pulling back on the reins without effect. I was still in the saddle, but listing hard to the left. Forsaking the reins, I grabbed the saddle horn. I continued to slide, saddle and all. Nugget trotted one complete circuit of our big front yard with me hanging onto his side. He stopped in front of my dad, who peeled me off of the pony and fixed the saddle. Our household was well versed in cowboy lore, and I knew the saying that you always had to get back in the saddle. So I did. Almost 6 decades later, I'm still in the saddle.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Aw man that feeling of excitement I miss so much!

As a child I was put on and led around. I actually found it quite boring! My mother was recording it and as I got off I picked out the huge *** wedgie in my pants. All on video and in front of an audience -.- Next time I wore proper attire!

A decade later I had my first adult lesson as a private one on one. Like riding a bike I knew how to ride but my body was a whole other matter. When my instructor saw me change to the correct diagonal in trot (considered a basic must-have when learning to trot over here in BHS yards) she shouted out "RIGHT, ITS OBVIOUS YOU CAN RIDE. GET ON WITH IT. CANTER!" in that confident shouty instructors tone that brings comfort when things are going to pot, lol. In the space of half an hour I was cantering (losing both stirrups ofc) and going into cardiac arrest with the amount of effort it took. There was a traffic jam on the hour drive home and every time I had to use my clutch my leg shook.

I love having lessons and I equally love working things at my own pace. Some push is needed and I always get a little excited when instructor comes out with ".. so.. wanna try something fun?" xD

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@Kalraii A few weeks ago I told one of my instructors, "I'm sorry I look horrified all the time. I am horrified, but just know I'm ok. We get done every week and then I'm ready to come do it again." She just laughed and said that's good.

I am still at the point of learning to trot confidently, although I've done decently enough that we have started trail riding a bit too, because that is another barrier I need to push past if my eventual goal is trail riding... I feel the opposite of claustrophobic when I take a horse outside the round pen. Which, on the instructors' horses isn't all that logical because they are actually easier to control outside of the pen. They're used to trail riding and very responsive, whereas they get bored in the round pen.

The first time her husband pushed me into a trot it felt like the world was coming out from under me. My mouth went so dry I could barely speak but I knew if I didn't push through it I would forever be fighting that fear and that urge to say "I'm not ready for this." So every time they decide I'm ready for something new I just go with it and try to pay attention to what they say :lol: That first trot left me so sore... with a mysterious bruise from I don't even know what on the inside of my thigh just from bouncing so hard in the saddle. The next time, even though we had to skip a week for work reasons, was much easier.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I like reading this thread! My first ride I don’t remember, but I do remember some memorable rides from when I was little.

I used to go ride for work with my father. I rode a fat bay middle aged mare called Darcell until I was probably six. One day I was loping around some cows and my stirrup broke off of my saddle. I remember my dad tying it back together telling me all about what “Mickey Mousing” something meant.

I also remember one day, during that same little girl time frame, I was riding a horse called Buck. He was a younger buckskin gelding, and my dad would ask me every morning I rode him, “Is Buck going to buck you off today?” We had finished for the day and were trotting back towards where we would find a trailer.

My uncles were talking about racing their horses, but I was little and not really understanding. They took off and Buck took off with them. He was winning right from the start (of course as he was running away), and they pulled up as soon as realizing their mistake. It took me quite a while to get Buck shut down. I remember getting back and bragging that I won the race, while my father yelled at his brothers about their lack of intelligence for at least a mile. Lol

I will include a picture of my first ride with one of my uncles. I don’t remember this horse.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I like reading this thread! My first ride I don’t remember, but I do remember some memorable rides from when I was little.

I used to go ride for work with my father. I rode a fat bay middle aged mare called Darcell until I was probably six. One day I was loping around some cows and my stirrup broke off of my saddle. I remember my dad tying it back together telling me all about what “Mickey Mousing” something meant.

I also remember one day, during that same little girl time frame, I was riding a horse called Buck. He was a younger buckskin gelding, and my dad would ask me every morning I rode him, “Is Buck going to buck you off today?” We had finished for the day and were trotting back towards where we would find a trailer.

My uncles were talking about racing their horses, but I was little and not really understanding. They took off and Buck took off with them. He was winning right from the start (of course as he was running away), and they pulled up as soon as realizing their mistake. It took me quite a while to get Buck shut down. I remember getting back and bragging that I won the race, while my father yelled at his brothers about their lack of intelligence for at least a mile. Lol

I will include a picture of my first ride with one of my uncles. I don’t remember this horse.
That's so cute, love it!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@Knave I have wished many times in the past months that I could have started much younger. My instructors' kids ride with a total lack of fear.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
@CopperLove there are benefits of starting older too. You can create good habits right from the get go. I know fear is an issue, but believe it or not it can be an issue we all face no matter when out beginnings happened.

My ex-aunt didn’t step foot on a horse until she was 19. She was a beautiful woman, and before marrying my uncle she was dating a cutting horse trainer. She was more than proficient on a horse during the time I knew her. She started many horses that were quite talented.

I always think of her when someone worries they are starting too late.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I started riding when I was 18. I still have the pictures but you should've seen me--I was totally unprepared lol. My first lesson was partly grooming and walking around the indoor arena (it was winter). I got to ride in the arena around by myself at a walk- which I thought was a great confidence builder, just navigating the arena and doing some figure eights. Of course that seems boring now, but learning to control the horse when you two are relaxed is foundational learning. I was riding a 15hh paint horse. I went on from that one relaxed ride to doing some shows and jumping in the future. Who knew.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My first ride was on Sandman, my current lesson horse. He wouldn't respond to my cues, liked to stop randomly, and get too close to the kildeer nesting at the edge of the arena.

We had a screaming bird for the next 2 minutes and a horse that was probably pretty dang proud of himself for causing such a ruckus.

Otherwise, it was uneventful, except for when I dismounted, got him hooked to the crossties, and mumbled something to my mom resembling "I feel like I'm gonna pass out." Spent the next 10 minutes leaning against a tack box, while my instructor took care of Sandman and nervously poked her head outside the stall to make sure I hadn't collapsed on the floor.

Needless to say, I only ride October-April/May now, with our climate. 90F with 85% humidity in April is nuts for both me and Sandman. See you later, VA. I'm busting out of here and going up north. 😂

·
Registered
122 Posts
My first time I sat/rode a horse was when I was three on my birthday my brother wanted to try horse riding and only available date at that time was my birthday so they booked me in as well it was only lovely lesson pony Hilda who has taught so many to ride apparently she was bought for only £5 because she has this skin condition she's quite old now but is still going strong haven't ridden her in ages as I have my own pony to ride now and this year is my 10th year riding anniversary lol

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I would go to a local riding stable when I had the funds for an hour ride. there weren't many places that gave lessons in that time.
I got my first horse when I was 18, I lived on the edge of a city and on a street where a neighbour had about an acre of land behind his place and I asked him if I could keep a horse there. He agreed and I bought a horse.
All the neighbours came out out to see my new horse, I took him back to his field and everyone was at the top watching us so I decided to show off and gallop up the hill to where they were watching, My horse started bucking on the way, I was in front of the saddle, behind the saddle, hanging over the side, just lucky the horse was underneath me when I came down. I managed to stay aboard (don't know how) and got him stopped.
He had two bad habits, one was bucking and the other was running away but we did work through both, mainly by putting on lots of miles. I would ride 10 to 15 miles for a ride and he got so much exercise that he didn't bother with the bad habits.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I had been put on horses before the age of 4. My mom has a photo of me sitting on my her uncle Alvie's pony named Booger when we were up in Idaho. She was a little shetland. I don't remember that and only know of it from the photo and I don't remember that other times before 4 years old either. The very first ride that I remember was in Colorado. We went on a camping trip and my dad and grandpa were going fishing and mom and sister were going for a trail ride. I think I was about five years old at the time. My mom asked me if I wanted to go with dad fishing or with them riding. Ha, are you kidding me? Of course it was riding. Never mind the excruciating ear ache that I had. Needless to say, I probably made the ride not so enjoyable for everyone. I had tears in my eyes the whole time. I remember trying to hide it because I wanted to ride, but that ear ache was horrendous.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
LoriF what we won't do to ride a horse.

I think the first time I was ever on a horse, actually pony, was at the big Park in our city and they had a pony ride there where you would be put on a pony and it walked around a fenced area and I loved it. A while ago we were looking at old photos and there was one of a big family reunion at this park and my Father and I were not in the picture, I said to my brother that I could guess where we were, I had probably talked my Dad into taking me down to the pony ring for a ride. I was about 4 then.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Stale thread. But.

I have the vaguest memory of being put on a chocolate colored Shetland at a carnival. The type of thing where they're walking in a circle on an exerciser type thing. His... or her... name was Pudding. And I do remember kicking and HIYA!ing and being dismayed the pony would just plod along at the same pace.

What a sad and boring life for a pony though.

Reactions: CopperLove

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You know... I never actually mentioned this in my own thread, probably because I was all wrapped up in Dreama and new horizons but...

I actually remember being put up on a horse at some point as a small child and crying.

I wanted to be up there so bad but then once I did get up there I was petrified.

She was a black horse, I want to say she was a Tennessee Walking Horse, I remember my grandfather preferring those.

I remember being put up on someone's massive draft horse that they used for farm work. Similarly, although I'd wanted to be up there I was petrified (but managed not to cry this time.) Even though I loved the idea of horses from the ground, and I really realllly wanted up there, I was horrified.

The first actual ride, going on a short trail, I was in middle school at a church camp. I was significantly older at that point, and for some reason, between the crying, horrified incidents as a child and that ride as a pre-teen, my fear had totally gone away. I was tall for my age and I remember they put me on one of the taller horses available near the front of the group and I was fine, grant it they were the kind of horses that could probably have walked that trail blind-folded because they walked it every day.

Now as an adult that anxiety is back, but not to the point of crying (yet lol). Interesting how that has worked out over the years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started at a dressage barn. If I remember correctly my 1st lesson horse was an old grumpy yet patient school master gelding. His name: Mickey. He was in his 30s. I started on the lunge line for the first half hour and then by myself and I walked and trotted that day. I was taught the basics of leg cues. My instructor used a lot of metaphor and it was very hard for me to grasp her at times. It's been a couple years now, I was nervous yet excited. The sad part is I don't exactly remember if it was Mickey or the other lesson horse, an older mare, Annie. Annie and Mickey my 1st lesson horses.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts