The Horse Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Cousin Tim called from Texas and said the grocery stores are sold out of food.
And water. Even sparkling water. Also at the hospitals that ran out of water they had to ask employees to use, ah, other methods, to go to the bathroom.

A LOT of people also have burst pipes. In addition to the neighbors I mentioned yesterday, our nextdoor neighbor does as well.

@Acadianartist thanks for checking in! My husband and I did have a discussion, after all of this, about getting a generator for our new place. Like you, we have sources of water on the property (two tiny streams), but otherwise we're on well water. City water actually runs right in the street, but I've been told you have to plug your well to get on the city water, or claim an agricultural exemption. I wish we could have both. I asked the people who sold the place when we met them, do you get any water from the well when the power is out? Because the water storage is uphill from the house, so I figured they'd still get it through gravity. They said they'd get a little in the basement but otherwise none. For heat, it has a propane stove upstairs and a wood stove in the basement. They have enough wood stockpiled to last for months of using it as a sole source of heat, if not a year. So I think we'd really only need a generator for the well. I'm going to start a thread on that.

We finally got out to see our horses yesterday. They apparently only had one hose / pipe that was still working, so the barn owner had basically decided that the ponies could just drink from the pond so she wouldn't have to fill the trough (because the hose that was working wouldn't reach it). The pond is DISGUSTING -- full of runoff from an overstocked pasture that is never poop picked. We filled a bunch of buckets and hauled it over until the big trough was full. One of the pones was so glad to have it. The trough had iced over the top, and there was about a four-inch rim of ice around the top, then it was empty for about a foot, then another rim of ice that someone had kicked through, then a little ice and water underneath that. It was really hard for them to drink out of.

At the new place, this sort of cold shouldn't be a problem, but with climate change who knows. At least that barn has hot running water (!) so even if buckets and troughs froze I could just fill them with hot water and melt the ice.

Changing topics, more gripes about our local idiot drivers:
  1. There was a brief article in the news about one of the highways being closed because it was being treated for ice. It included this: "The highway authority is asking that people please stop driving around the barriers to get onto the highway." Seriously? This is happening with enough frequency that you have to make a public announcement about it?
  2. Not related to weather, but for the first six months of Covid our traffic was down a lot. But traffic deaths went UP significantly. Not as a proportion of traffic, but as a fixed number.

Reactions: Acadianartist

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
He said I-20 is shut down east out of Dallas and all the truckers are parked at rest stops.
Why is I-20 closed? Is it still iced?

·
Registered
756 Posts
If the 'managers' had kept the pumps that pump the natural gas to the power plants running on natural gas instead of changing them over to renewable electricity there would still be elctricity for people to boil their water with. Maybe the managers should rethink that policy in case of emergencies. Or at least keep some old timey pumps on hand.

In the 1980s in centralTexas there was the 3 week freeze. First there was a big ice storm then it snowed on top of it. We lived in a little trailer in the woods and had animals, horses, poultry. As I recall it was difficult. We chopped away many layers of ice so the horses could drink. But it was also fun. We slid down hills on garbage can lids. The frozen forest sparkled like diamonds. I poured out big bags of birdseed on the forest road, turned, looked back and saw hundreds of hungry birds, Red Cardinals and Blue Jays pecking happily. (My now husband) had 200 cattle to feed and water so I went on horseback and helped him too, Breaking ice on ponds while wearing every article of clothing I owned. Our trailer stove ran on propane so we could make delicious hot food. This lasted for 3 weeks. Finally it thawed and all the pipes of every person in the county were broken. At Home Despot in the PVC parts isle, everyone was dirty in dirty clothes with dirty hair hanging down and hopping mad because all plumbing parts and glue were sold out.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
Ugh... all of that sucks @ACinATX. The drivers, the pond water... gross. My horses are so fussy about their water, if I don't scrub the buckets regularly, they just don't drink. A generator helps, but our well pump is wired in so that there are no access points where we could plug in a generator. We really need to get someone in to do that - you might look into it as well. We don't want to wire our whole electric panel (a lot of people do that), because we don't need to run everything, just a couple of things we can plug in one at a time to conserve gas. And we have used our generator over and over again. Once, my parents were here, and I had a big meal in the crockpot. Plugged in the generator, moved the crockpot into the garage where we keep the generator, plugged it in, had a lovely meal by candlelight that evening. Power outages are not a big deal here, as we're quite accustomed to them, but extended ones are a big problem in many ways.

·
Registered
653 Posts
@Acadianartist , To use a generator to power some of the house it is simple. Turn off your main breaker, Turn on the breaker circuits on you want to use including the well pump. Turn off all other breakers. Take an extension cord and put a male plug in, in place of the female on it. This will give you an extension cord with two male ends. Plug one into the generator and one into a 20 amp plug in receptical. Make sure this plug breaker is on. This will let you back feed your electrical system. This will only give you 20 amps but will power your well pump, freezer,refrig., tv and a couple lights.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah, there were places where no one could get in or out because of the roads. They were thinking that now that people can get in, they might start finding people who just passed away in their homes from the cold.

I talked to someone at the barn today and he said that when his daughter left for work this morning she still didn't have water. Luckily she was able to just stay with him for a while. Hopefully we're almost through this...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Any updates, folks...? Y’all still alive? Sounds awful.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
We have water and power. Now people are dealing with flooded-out homes. As I've been sitting here working, I've been listening to the sounds of the people across the street tossing out chunks of flooring and drywall. Our next door neighbors also got flooded but they seem to still be in shell-shock about it and haven't started taking things to the curb. On my walks and drives around the neighborhood, it seems like about one out of 20 houses is doing the same. It may end up being more; I think some people are trying to figure out what they can salvage first.

I wish more Texas people would chime in. I'd like to know if everyone is OK.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I really feel for you guys down there. I figured after the freezing there was going to be flooding. I hope people's insurance come through to help out but will they classify it as flood? Natural disaster? This is going to be a strange one.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
We have water and power. Now people are dealing with flooded-out homes. As I've been sitting here working, I've been listening to the sounds of the people across the street tossing out chunks of flooring and drywall. Our next door neighbors also got flooded but they seem to still be in shell-shock about it and haven't started taking things to the curb. On my walks and drives around the neighborhood, it seems like about one out of 20 houses is doing the same. It may end up being more; I think some people are trying to figure out what they can salvage first.

I wish more Texas people would chime in. I'd like to know if everyone is OK.
Glad your power is back on and that you have water. Man, the flooding sounds awful. I also wonder how insurance is going to classify that, but however they do, I hope they don’t skimp on folks and find ways and sneaky loopholes to cut them off from receiving the help they need... insurance loves to do that to folks. Much love to everyone in Texas who has suffered or whose home is damaged. Sounds like an awfully stressful event for everyone, even the folks who came out fine. I hope the others from Texas on the forum is doing ok.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
@Acadianartist , To use a generator to power some of the house it is simple. Turn off your main breaker, Turn on the breaker circuits on you want to use including the well pump. Turn off all other breakers. Take an extension cord and put a male plug in, in place of the female on it. This will give you an extension cord with two male ends. Plug one into the generator and one into a 20 amp plug in receptical. Make sure this plug breaker is on. This will let you back feed your electrical system. This will only give you 20 amps but will power your well pump, freezer,refrig., tv and a couple lights.
There is no plug in my electrical panel. And I don't want to add one. I just want to provide an outlet to which I can connect an extension cord for the water pump. I know you can wire your entire electrical panel to plug in a generator, but I don't want to do that. I just want to be able to keep the water running. Everything else we can manage in other ways.

·
Registered
653 Posts
There is no plug in my electrical panel. And I don't want to add one. I just want to provide an outlet to which I can connect an extension cord for the water pump. I know you can wire your entire electrical panel to plug in a generator, but I don't want to do that. I just want to be able to keep the water running. Everything else we can manage in other ways.
So there is no outlet in your pump house to plug in a heater to keep the tank and lines from freezing? Our pump has a separate breaker in the house for the pump also. Do you have a separate meter for the pump?

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
So there is no outlet in your pump house to plug in a heater to keep the tank and lines from freezing? Our pump has a separate breaker in the house for the pump also. Do you have a separate meter for the pump?
No. Everything is buried, including the lines and pipes that go into the house and barn. Nothing freezes. Our electric panels has a series of breakers and one is for the pump, but I have no way to plug anything in. That's why it needs to be wired so we can do that.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I keep reading about $20,000 electric bills, hope no one on the forum got one!

Reactions: LilyandPistol
41 - 58 of 58 Posts