The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering if everyone would give me some POSITIVE critique ...like things i can work on not rude comments about how im a horrible rider cause no one os perfect. I already know i bounce a bit (it used to be worse) but i have gotten alot better since this video was taken (its from october):D

·
Registered
251 Posts
No comment but WOW, do you do barrels also?
I can't imagine how difficult it is for a horse who is trained in barrels to not circle around that one barrel haha :lol:.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I never saw anything close to a rollback.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Me either. I'm slightly confused. Do you think you could give us a brief description of what you two are doing? That will help with critiquing. =) Your horse is gorgeous.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
My positive critique would be to get some lessons before you bother with competitions. What you need to learn is not going to be learned on a forum. You could be a good rider, but whoever is pushing you into gaming being a good thing for a novice rider to be doing is quite frankly, a fool. You're not doing your horse any favours, and I'm sure you love him dearly, so why rush the competitions until you have it perfect at home?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm confused to. I thought a rollback was a pivot finished with a trot or canter off.

·
Super Moderator
26,791 Posts
I'm not sure what you were supposed to do to be honost, I thought he screwed up when he got to the barrel, was he supposed to do that? I don't think I've ever seen that class before. I think he's a cute horse and he definitely enjoy his job. I like that you are using a looser rein on him but I don't think you need to flop your arms like that to make him go. Your legs are a bit forward and your seat needs some work but you guys look like you had a lot of fun. He doesn't look like a hot head or anything, just a guy that loves his job....

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Oh, I get it.

Guys, it's a gymkhana pattern. Just like those odd ones differant saddle clubs come up with for speed events.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Wow- so no one is even listening to the part where you said give nice critiques.... sorry about that OP.

I think your horse responds well when you ask it for speed.
Your horse is beautiful.
Sounds like you have at least one adoring fan- which makes you extremely lucky.

Stay in the horse business despite people on a forum not being able to read a question and follow instructions :)

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Wow- so no one is even listening to the part where you said give nice critiques.... sorry about that OP.

I think your horse responds well when you ask it for speed.
Your horse is beautiful.
Sounds like you have at least one adoring fan- which makes you extremely lucky.

Stay in the horse business despite people on a forum not being able to read a question and follow instructions :)
Gushing about how beautiful her horse is is not a critique. Nor is it in any way helpful. A negative critique is telling someone "OMFG, you're a horrible rider, stop riding!" A positive critique is identifying the riders faults and giving suggestions to fix them. At this point, I don't believe she should be gaming as her position is not solid enough. I say this out of worry that she will get injured by not being able to properly ride at that speed.

Nobody is going to learn anything if all anybody ever did was gush about how amazing they are. Welcome to the real world. Your advice will not save lives.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
^ You post in critique, you get a critique. If you want people to tell you how great you are, then you post in pictures. 'Nice critiques' don't work - Critique by nature is showing you things you did wrong, and not many people see that as nice.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I agree, a positive critique is "here is what you are doing wrong, here is how you can fix it." Cut and dry. We are all grown ups here and can handle being told we are doing something wrong.

You are unbalanced and floppy in your seat, legs, and arms. Sit down, lower your stirrups, and relax your arms but keep them in control. Let the horse do his job don't go "gettin him" or "PULL PULLING" like the narrator is yelling to you. RElax, get in your seat and out of his way and you will be fine with more practice. Use your Legs when you ask him to turn, move his butt do not pull his head, it makes him shoulder in and lose his balance, let him push himself.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
One thing that I noticed that nobody else has mentioned is that you are leaning into your turns too much. You should keep your body centered over his body and lean only as much as he leans. You are leaning way over before you ask for the turn and throwing him off balance. But that is another thing that would come from having a solid core and good seat. You need to work on getting your seat relaxed and secure and your core centered before you worry about speed. IMHO, you should be able to sit a trot and make it look good (no bouncing) before you move up to the lope, let alone asking for speed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I second that.

some people just don't know the difference from constructed criticism and bashing.. how I just don't know. BUT what I do know is that someone isn't going to get any better at riding if no one is telling them if their doing something wrong!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
You second what exactly? No one is bashing her, they just aren't candy coating everything. If that is what she wanted she shouls have put "Candy coated critique please" for the title. As far as I can see everyone is being nice.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
Constructive criticism -

You lack both a following seat and a following arm at the lope and gallop. Improving both of these will improve both your speed and your accuracy and get you working with your horse. You know this already because you mention the bouncing and working on improving it. Best way to work on both is at slower speeds, preferably on a lunge line, with an instructor to help you understand both the mechanic's of the horse's movement, rhythm and how you can work with it. It is very hard to maintain a following seat at speed - you need to be rock solid at slower paces before attempting it at gaming speed.

Your horse looks like a nice guy, willing and responsive who's capable of going to higher levels as you improve.

To Citrus - "nice critique" is an oxymoron. The dictionary meaning of critique is critical review or commentary, or a critical discussion of a specified topic. If you only want positive comments, you don't want a critique, you want fan mail.

The OP received some constructive criticism, none if it was mean-spirited, personal or harsh but it wasn't fan mail either.

I believe the OP was actually looking for a true critique, if she wasn't, she should have posted in the photos section rather than her.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
THAT^^^ was a roll back!! Notice the hindlegs pivoted where in the OP the horse basically did a U turn.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Is that at game horse in Jersey? Piney Lane Farm or whatever?
If so, I ran there for like 3 years and LOVED it.

Work on quieting your hands first. You didn't technically do a rollback (but most people doing games don't to be fair). If this is an event they run a lot, I would work at it slow. Teach your horse to actually turn and pivot around. It's going to save you a lot of time instead of just doing a little circle where he's going to drop his front end and break gait. Games are tons of fun though!

EDIT: Didn't see the second video before I posted. That is what you are looking for. Nice, balanced, and quick. Work at it from a walk where youre just pivoting around focusing on keeping yourself giving, centered, and quiet, and move up from there.

·
Super Moderator
26,791 Posts
well if that's the case, then not really bad for a novice rider. I stand my by previous post though. Work on your seat (it needs to be much more solid), and don't flap the arms. You can't fix everythign at once. I feel like my original critique was "nice". The horse is really enjoying his job and could be good at it, but for the two of you to be a team, you've got to learn to ride him well.

You guys are cute.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.