Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have...drum roll please.... another crazy boarder! LOL

No.. she is super sweet but holy cow! She txts me constantly! My help is also complaining about the the txting... at the very least she sends me 1 text msg every day asking how her horse is.

I'm just curious where everyone stands on this issue.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
my barn owner would tell her rather bluntly, I believe. haha
she's not constantly out in the barn, let alonthin the property 24/7 so she doesn't always know right that second. it annoys her when someone texts her about a trail ride, she'd prefer them to call her back so that they can discuss it faster and not hae her stop to text while she's in the middle of mucking or changing water buckets, or even turning out.
I text all the time, so if I did that (not a barn owner yet though, so theoretically) I would be a hypocrit lol and because my phone doesn't call at the moment..but you get the point? lol
so...I would just tell her that you're busy and it would be appriciated if she keeps the texting down. :3 IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I never imagined that one text per day was a lot!

The easiest way to deal with it is to not respond. I am guessing she will get the hint quickly that you are not interested in communicating with her.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't like texting, but I'm not above calling my BO to ask how my horse is once in a while. Do you feel that doing it once a day is excessive? I would tell her that everything is assumed to be fine and dandy, and if it's not, you will text her.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Beats me, I don't like texting. It doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it faster and easier to call. Not that I'd want someone to call me everyday asking how their horse is.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Having a barn with 2 or 3, even 4 borders texting once per day can be a nuisance but a barn with many borders is downright disruptive. While it's true that you don't have to answer the text on the spot as you would with a phone call, you still need to look at who sent it since it could be something important.

The way I would handle it would be to post a restriction on texting during the day. I would explain that it is disruptive to my work, my lessons, my training, my lunch, etc. That if it was an emergency, that would be different, otherwise send an email and I would respond when convenient.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Tell her not everyone has a texting plan (or likes texting).

I would find that very annoying... I would find it equally annoying if someone was calling me everyday.

The one a day text is excessive. She needs to accept you'll contact her if somethings wrong and she needs to chill out.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'd ask her to stop because it's disruptive.

Then tell her that if something is wrong with her horse YOU will call HER. If she doesn't hear from you he's A-OKAY :)

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I find texts tend to be more disruptive to me than calls. (But then, I often let calls go to the machine and call back later, too!)

My best friend, I love her dearly but she tends to text me a running commentary of her day, all day. I really don't care who she's working with that day, what she had for lunch, or which of her co workers (none of which I know) is going out with who that night. And this isn't a kid, she's in her 40's. It's endlessly annoying but I don't have the heart to tell her to stop.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
The Professional way for you to handle this, as the owner of your facility and all those around you seeing you in this "Professional" light - would be to send out a mass e-mail to all your boarders and explain your case, but in a business like manner. Don't point out anyone, and don't say names. Just make it to all boarders.

Post a sign on your bulletin boards in your barn for all to see. Just keep it simple and to the point, thanking everyone for their understanding and wish them all a great day and looking forward to seeing them at the barn.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
The Professional way for you to handle this, as the owner of your facility and all those around you seeing you in this "Professional" light - would be to send out a mass e-mail to all your boarders and explain your case, but in a business like manner. Don't point out anyone, and don't say names. Just make it to all boarders.

Post a sign on your bulletin boards in your barn for all to see. Just keep it simple and to the point, thanking everyone for their understanding and wish them all a great day and looking forward to seeing them at the barn.
This.

But then be sure not to be answering and sending texts while you are teaching and such. :wink:

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
What is the history? Has she been at your barn long? Has the horse had issues? Is the person a lonely person? Is she able to get out and see her horse?

I find a text much less obtrusive than a phone call. I'd rather read a text than go through and listen to my voice mail. My boarders know I do not carry my phone on me at all times and may have to wait for a reply.

Horse boarding is a PEOPLE business. Horses are a small part of the customer service. If you don't like it - be up front with her. If it's merely annoying - swallow it and think of how much worse things could be.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Horse boarding is a PEOPLE business. Horses are a small part of the customer service. If you don't like it - be up front with her. If it's merely annoying - swallow it and think of how much worse things could be.
This!

With the recent posts by the OP complaining about this boarder or that boarder it sounds like boarding is not what the OP should be doing.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Haha, my BO and I text all of the time. As do me and my leasee. Its much more convenient than a phone call, and faster than email. I work three days a week at the barn and oh! we're low on this feed. I just text the BO and she takes care of it. So-and-so is almost out of supplements; text the BO to remind them! Or, if I see the boarder, I'll just remind them about it myself.

I did not used to like texting, that is until I got a sidekick with a full keyboard. Now all I do is text. As long as I get my work done (as an employee) I don't see a problem with it, and I never do it when I'm in a blatantly dangerous, or even possibly dangerous situation. Nor do I go out of my way to text (If I have an arm full of hay and get a text, I'll wait till I throw it all to check the message, etc)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I did not used to like texting, that is until I got a sidekick with a full keyboard. Now all I do is text. As long as I get my work done (as an employee) I don't see a problem with it, and I never do it when I'm in a blatantly dangerous, or even possibly dangerous situation. Nor do I go out of my way to text (If I have an arm full of hay and get a text, I'll wait till I throw it all to check the message, etc)

Ooo that was my first texting phone too! I had aim and msn messenger and all sorts on that phone... ah memories! Now I hardly ever text though.

I see what everyone is saying about it being a people business... It is only a text a day which only takes seconds to respond to. In the long run, the nicest thing to do would be to just respond until she finally starts forgetting to text. That, or tell her you don't have a texting plan.

I used to get a couple of text messages everyday from a former friend updating me on her day... and then I realized she was sending them out to everyone in her contacts list so she was basically just seeking attention. That was the first thing that came to my head when I read the OP.

·
Registered
481 Posts
What is the history? Has she been at your barn long? Has the horse had issues? Is the person a lonely person? Is she able to get out and see her horse?

I find a text much less obtrusive than a phone call. I'd rather read a text than go through and listen to my voice mail. My boarders know I do not carry my phone on me at all times and may have to wait for a reply.

I agree. And yes a text is better than a call. This IS a people business and like it or not, you've got to deal with them all if you're to stay in business.

You don't have to answer a text asap, or even a call for that matter. Adopt my phone philosophy - my phone is for my convenience, not the callers/texters... reply when you have the time and inclination

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do you have a barn phone? I would give that to her instead of your personal cell phone. She may not have the time to call but some people like to text, me being one of them. I text A LOT too but I would NEVER text my BO. Be professional but tell her that she should only contact you if there is an emergency and if her horse wasn't okay you would contact her as soon as possible. Also talk to her about your point of view on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds annoying.

I agree with the above comments about assuring the boarder that if anything is wrong with the horse she would be contacted right away, and "How is my horse doing?" texts or calls aren't necessary.

Perhaps (with the barn operator's permission) the boarder should invest in some kind of battery powered video camera that they can tap into from the internet to see how their horse is doing. Don't they have that technology in day care centers?

(Of course, of the horse is out of view of the camera lens for any reason or the camera malfunctioned, that would invite immediate calls or texts.)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ok I'm w/Star on this one.

People business yes, but think about it if everyone sent a text message a day to ask how their horse was doing and you have 20 boarders? That is alot of interruption in my day.
Sure I don't have to answer it, but if my phone went of every 5 min w texts from owners asking how their horse was? That would drive me insane.

When my kids are in school. I don't phone and ask how they are doing? Why? Because that would be disruptive to the teachers day. And I know they are in a safe environment, and being supervised. Much like her horse is at the barn.

I have my phone w me at all times, but that is because it is essential that I can be in touch w people who need to reach me immediately for important things, such as the farrier, vet, Hay guy, My kids school (hence why I don't phone them to ask how my kids are, as they can reach me if needed:wink:) as anyone who runs a boarding facility knows, you are rarely by the phone. I would too be annoyed if I got a text everyday asking the same thing over and over again....like if you're so concerned I'm not taking care of your horse...there's the door.

I would suggest saying to this boarder, that the texts are distracting, and interfere w your day....if you can maybe call at the end of the week at a certain time (set up a time that works for you both), and then can touch base on the week.But I agree no news is good news

I would just like to say I find it interesting how boarders can bash BO and BM all the time on forums such as this, but the minute a Bo or BM vents about a boarder, they shouldn't be in the business if they cant handle the "aggravation".....walk a day in our shoes, and lets see how quick you suddenly change your tune...:?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.