The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Every Thanksgiving is a blessing in my family. My Grandparents, aunts, and uncles are getting older. Soon, faces will start disappearing from our Thanksgiving get togethers. My cousin closest to me in age will not be at Thanksgiving for the first time ever this year - he joined to Navy and will be in basic training over Thanksgiving. My Grandpa's parkinson's has gotten nearly unmanageable, so this may very well be his last Thanksgiving at home. We lost my Great Grandma in 2020, so 2019 Thanksgiving was her last. But, new faces join each year - new spouses, children, pets... The Holidays are just a way to see change in our family. It's not a bad thing, it's just like. Plus, Thanksgiving is my favorite - we come together to share the experience of a shared meal without the promise of gifts.

Thanksgiving has morphed more into a potluck, where we all bring dishes to pass. It's always at my Grandma's house and she needs help more than ever now that my Grandpa is so sick. The roasted brussel sprouts and squash were a big hit that I brought last year, so those will probably be made again. I'm thinking of bringing a soup, which hasn't really ever been brought to Thanksgiving but I think it'd make a nice addition. I'm thinking Zuppa Toscana since it's been in my mind lately and just really warms the belly. I always bring a dessert of some type too, usually cookies, but my Kitchen Aid mixer just went caput so we will see what recipes are hand mixer friendly.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Should add "US Thanksgiving 2022" since we already had ours in Canada. I was supposed to host my entire family for the first time since 2020. I got sick. Not Covid, but still, I was pretty sick and no one wanted my germs so we had a quiet turkey dinner by ourselves. Oh, and vegan turkey of course. The best one is the Stuffed Beast or the Roast Beast from the Very Good Butchers. But that's a Canadian company so you may not be able to get that there.

Still, very thankful that my son is healthy and putting one foot in front of the other each day. And that maybe we've gone through the worst of the pandemic.

·
Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
277 Posts
Wow I love Thanksgiving!! Especially the turkey part! We don't celebrate very much of it but do have a meal of turkey and other goodies. A friend is planning to invite us to her house for Thanksgiving. But unfortunately Thanksgiving isn't in fall, it is in summer here like the first 1/4th of summer. And I just looooooooooooooove cranberries. I eat so much I feel bad lol!!!\
I just been out getting my garden ready to plant- Black Eyed Peas Sweet corn, beets, and some flowers Zinnias and Marigolds. It get hot in the summertime sometimes 50 C in the sunshine and 30 C in the shade. I am glad that it isn't humid much!
I will have to water non-stop to keep my plants alive lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've never enjoyed Thanksgiving, personally. Always been my least favorite holiday and I'm usually glad when it's over.

However, this is our first year in our new state, and I haven't seen my parents since the beginning of spring. We had hoped their new home would have been ready by the end of the month, but turns out that won't be happening. So it'll just be me and my husband. My sister and her boyfriend are also here too, so we made tentative plans to get together, but there is a very high chance they'll both be working that day :(

I asked my trainer if she was taking lessons that day since her schedule was showing as available, and she said she would take a couple lessons before noon. So I signed up, and regardless if my sister and boyfriend come or not, hubby and I will have a nice ride together in the morning. So I'm very much looking forward to that, as spending time with my horse and going for a ride was always something I had wanted to do on Thanksgiving. I really hope to make it a new tradition and I'll be baking my trainer cookies as a thank-you for allowing me to come and ride.

·
Registered
"Cricket" 2016 AQHA sorrel mare- barrel prospect and "Sky" 2018 AQHA buckskin mare
516 Posts
As a kid thanksgiving was a huge affair, it rarely included my moms side of the family though.
As I have gotten older it has become a bit of a 'free for all' so to speak. My side of the family is fairly spread out dad in NV, little brother in Oregon, older brother and my 2 remaining grand parents spread throughout CA. My fiance has a split family that are all local so the last 5 years have gone something along the lines of early am- desert camp for lunch time thanksgiving, football starts, leave camp head to town to mimis house for a couple hours, leave and head to my parents house have actual dinner then back to mimis for desert. All places request my cranberry sauce so I usually make bulk the day before. It makes for a long holiday.

This year will be the first year my grandpa on my moms side is without grandma. We have been alternating going up to help him and he requested that we spend the holidays with him this year. So it will be the first time in years that we will be in one single location for thanksgiving as he lives 5 hours from us. My fiance is a cowboys fan and they play every thanksgiving, that was a tradition with his grandfather who passed away so we will likely watch the game while cooking.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'll probably be working again. It's good because holidays pay time and a half but bad because I really miss the family get together. They always send home leftovers but it's not quite the same!

I thank God for a job I love, my family who is doing well, a best friend I can count on, a car that runs, a house to live in, and of course my wonderful boys--

Flower Plant Picture frame Botany Paint

Horse Wood Orange Working animal Organism

·
Registered
876 Posts
all of our family is busy for thanksgiving, we have a rather large family so usually my aunts and uncles will get together with there children and then their grandchildren etc etc, I lost all my grandparents so that’s not an option, my last grandparent passed last spring and my uncle, who we usually have for thanksgiving.
I’m guessing I’m going to just get together with my parents and my brother and his gf, since his gf doesn’t have a very good family..
My grandma on my moms side was a fantastic baker/cook as well as my mom and some other family members so that’s why we have a deli, anyway, my grandma made the BEST mashed potato’s and meatballs..usually people don’t like mashed potato’s because they’re either clumpy, or taste artificial, anyway, I haven’t given the secret out to anybody and not planning too unless I’m on my death bed, but, everyone who eats them says they’re the best,(they’re basically as fluffy as clouds! and my family says I’m now the “mashed potato queen” lol!
So I’m in charge of mashed potato’s and meatballs (there’s also a secret to the meatballs too hehe)
Usually every year we try to invite friends with no family around the area or something, most of them have moved so we might just invite someone random this year.. though we aren’t finding anyone to invite.
Usually we all go around the table saying what we’re thankful for.
Two years ago the cows got out on thanksgiving, we had to put lunch off and get all the cows in, all while be dressed up, lol! That was fun.
I hope everyone has a safe and good thanksgiving!

·
Registered
16,600 Posts
We having quiet Thanksgivings. In the past we've always both worked the holidays, medical and law enforcement don't usually get holidays off or if you do get off it's one day. Now I'm retired and hubby is working where he does get holidays off and gets more than 1 day, so it's nice, we can actually plan something.

This will be the frst Thanksgiving that we're actually able to have a full kitchen since we moved into our new place. Everyone says turkey is going to be really expensive this year, and it's not necessarily our most favorite anyhow, so we're going to do a smoked brisket. I've already got that in stock, and I'll make dressing, gravy, fresh cranberry sauce and salad. I made a pumpkin cheesecake last year that was to die for and I think I'll make that again. I'm not usually a big cheesecake fan but this was something else. I'll probably make a sweet potato pie too. Nothing too fancy.

We'll take some apples and some carrots out to the horses and spend the afternoon with them and that will be our day.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I enjoy Thanksgiving for the food (I spend all year daydreaming of turkey necks and ham) and for family (It's one of the few times of the year where I can usually count on seeing all three of my brothers.).

I just wish that Christmas wasn't so commercialized that it's stuffed in our faces from before Halloween nowadays. Hard to enjoy Thanksgiving when nobody will shut up about Christmas!

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Will be going to my oldest sister's house for Thanksgiving. We don't have the whole family anymore, just too many of us, so her kids, their spouses, her grandkids and usually a few of them bring a boyfriend. Since she is the BEST cook, any meal at her house is always wonderful. I don't know what I'm supposed to bring along in the way of food yet.

Back in the day my dad's brother and his wife always hosted the family Thanksgiving and then the sister right above me (when she was younger) and I would spend the night with them. One of the 3 TV stations always aired the Wizard of Oz that night and we always watched it, every year. LOL I still love that movie! Then the next day Aunt Alice would load us kids up in the station wagon and drive to downtown Indianapolis to see all the Christmas displays the major department stores put in their windows. We didn't shop, eat out or anything else, just strolled the sidewalks looking. That was a big adventure back then. I think when I was really little there was a parade too, just a flash of memory that just came to me.

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,790 Posts
My husband's family rents a grange hall, and everyone from everywhere shows up. We have even had family from Texas come up to it. Everyone brings a dish so there is PLENTY of food. Cousins that have never met, or only at Thanksgiving time, get to see each other. The older members of the family get to see relation they haven't seen since the year before.
I know only a few of them. So for me, it's a bunch of strangers, but everyone is happy, so makes for a good time.
I still make the big dinner here as we like leftovers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I will be hosting Thanksgiving, and due to requests from my husband and kids,
apparently we are just having a boatload of desserts (everyone requested something different ) with a side of turkey and ham!

I was just planning on having my husband, my mom,and my kids plus my daughter’s BF and a friend of my son’s (his friend’s mom has early onset dementia unfortunately and has been in assisted living for years) plus my BFF who is a widow. However,
I have discovered I am truly a terrible person because my older sister texted me and invited herself and her husband, and I am bummed about them coming. I am not mean or cruel enough to tell them NOT
to come but it has seriously downgraded my anticipation of the holiday. She is loud and is the one who has re-created every single memory of my childhood to something viewed through rose colored glasses (think Little House on the Prairie upbringing…which it was NOT) and it drives me insane. I always tell her she was obviously raised in a different household than I was. Her husband thinks it’s fine to smack, belch, and fart during meals and thinks bathroom humor is the best kind. She has three grown children who live within five miles of her and I have to wonder why she’s not spending it with one of them.
She’s also famous for collecting “strays”….I mean random people off the street for holiday meals or actually letting them live with her, and while I admire her Christian heart, I am not that way, and my first instinct when she texted and told me (didn’t ask….TOLD me) they were driving up was to say, “Dude, if I wanted y’all here, I would have issued an invitation.”

Yeah I know…I’m an awful person. I have been the last 30 or so years so I’ve learned to live with it.

So that’s my Thanksgiving vent…LOL!
Y’all have a wonderful holiday.

I am very thankful my son is out of the hospital and we’ll be able to celebrate at home rather than a hospital room, which we’ve done numerous times in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
@Txshecat0423 You are better than me, because I would have no issue telling them they aren't welcome!!! :LOL:

Maybe my patience has ran thin, but I have absolutely no issue upsetting a family member and being the 'bad guy'. I've realized that I'm willing to bend overs backwards for about anyone who asks, but has anyone ever done the same for me? HA, NO! It's my time to set boundaries, hurt some feelings, and for once not get walked over.

I promise I'm not just a big ole meanie, but I've come to realize that I am in charge of enjoying my life and rotten eggs aren't going to be spoiling it for me any longer, dang it!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I will be hosting Thanksgiving, and due to requests from my husband and kids,
apparently we are just having a boatload of desserts (everyone requested something different ) with a side of turkey and ham!

I was just planning on having my husband, my mom,and my kids plus my daughter’s BF and a friend of my son’s (his friend’s mom has early onset dementia unfortunately and has been in assisted living for years) plus my BFF who is a widow. However,
I have discovered I am truly a terrible person because my older sister texted me and invited herself and her husband, and I am bummed about them coming. I am not mean or cruel enough to tell them NOT
to come but it has seriously downgraded my anticipation of the holiday. She is loud and is the one who has re-created every single memory of my childhood to something viewed through rose colored glasses (think Little House on the Prairie upbringing…which it was NOT) and it drives me insane. I always tell her she was obviously raised in a different household than I was. Her husband thinks it’s fine to smack, belch, and fart during meals and thinks bathroom humor is the best kind. She has three grown children who live within five miles of her and I have to wonder why she’s not spending it with one of them.
She’s also famous for collecting “strays”….I mean random people off the street for holiday meals or actually letting them live with her, and while I admire her Christian heart, I am not that way, and my first instinct when she texted and told me (didn’t ask….TOLD me) they were driving up was to say, “Dude, if I wanted y’all here, I would have issued an invitation.”

Yeah I know…I’m an awful person. I have been the last 30 or so years so I’ve learned to live with it.

So that’s my Thanksgiving vent…LOL!
Y’all have a wonderful holiday.

I am very thankful my son is out of the hospital and we’ll be able to celebrate at home rather than a hospital room, which we’ve done numerous times in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re better then me, I’d make up a really lame excuse so they wouldn’t come, but I completely get it because I have those family members, it doesn’t matter what the excuse because they’re coming over lol, her husband sounds like my dad, lol! He will belch or do whatever and I’m usually the one who will be bent over laughing and everyone else thinks it’s unpleasant.. I’m close with my dad yet I have to admit some of the things he does are rather embarrassing, like burping extremely loud in a restaurant and everyone staring at us, lol.. but bathroom humor at the dinner table? No thanks.
I really don’t think you’re a unpleasant person!
My parents have brought me up to be a Christian so I have a heart for everything and even the people on the streets, and I feel bad for saying this, but I would not just bring a random person into my house.. I guess that wouldn’t be the Godly thing to do but now days.. it’s sketchy.. there’s sometimes I need to draw the line, it’s hard and honestly sometimes I do not have the guts to say “no you can’t come over” etc. I’ve experienced before standing up against family members, kinda scary because they think they should be priority etc cause they’re family 🙄
But I’m learning how to say no, even if they’re really offended, lol!

I hope your thanksgiving turns out better than whats expected! :(

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
I guess I have to fix something — my brother is coming - by himself😳😳

He had mentioned coming down alone last month and I told him no, to stay home with his family. My SIL cant get off work and my niece just started her new job, after graduating from a medical course, so can’t get off work to drive 11 hours down here.

So I get a text a few days ago, asking if he can still come down. I love that kid so I said ok. Not sure what’s up unless his 19 years younger than me. self thinks he needs to make a wellness check. I told him if that’s the reason, I’m still mucking stalls and driving both tractors, lollol

He’s bringing the ham. DH can’t have ham so we will buy some fresh turkey slices at Publix for him. Publix also has a great cookie bakery. I ordered sides from the BBQ place. I will make deviled eggs and grandma’s sage stuffing, DH will make smash the potatoes and make that still famous green bean casserole😎😎

I also have to stock up on eggs, bacon and shredded cheese for all of those wonderful breakfasts only my brother knows how to fix😍😍

I am stymied why he wants to drive 11 hours on a family holiday without his family — you can bet I’m going to make serious eye contact and grill him😇😇

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Maybe he just wants to see and hang out with his big sis @walkinthewalk !

My big sis wants me to bring dirt pudding to our get together. Had to get the recipe from her because I've never made it before so I hope it turns out ok. I feel bad for only taking that what with food prices these days but asking for other food assignments got me nowhere. We left it that if she comes up with anything else to let me know.

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Maybe he just wants to see and hang out with his big sis @walkinthewalk !

My big sis wants me to bring dirt pudding to our get together. Had to get the recipe from her because I've never made it before so I hope it turns out ok. I feel bad for only taking that what with food prices these days but asking for other food assignments got me nowhere. We left it that if she comes up with anything else to let me know.
Dirt pudding - there’s a dish I have t heard about for a long time😍. How about strawberry pretzel salad - do you remember that? I love both of these deserts❤❤

I will be paying a little more at the checkout because I’m going to Publix. I am sick and tired of Walmart andI not having the most routine of things; I’m not running all over creation to get everything I need, so Publix prices it is🥴🥴

My brother, et.al. try to visit every two years on Thanksgiving and this is their year to visit. DH said maybe he just wants to come down anyway “since we’re old”, lol. I know it isn’t because he wants to see Duncan — he has come to appreciate my born-in-the-blood horse addiction that missed him but not enough to want to see the new horse😇😂😇😂

1 - 20 of 40 Posts