The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I was riding my horse bareback at all speeds.
Well, when I stopped my horse, the guy that is in charge of the barn told me something.
This is coming from a person who has been riding horses his entire life, train horses for a living, rides bucking horses, etc.

He told me all of that after telling me that I ride amazing bareback.

This is coming from at least a 40 year old to a 15 year old that I hardly know! All I know is that he is in charge of the barns and comes around sometimes. We never talk or anything other than the friendly hello and how are you.

I've never had anyone outside of family and friends compliment me on my riding! What makes me even more speechless is that this guy has been riding his entire life and trains horses for a living!!
He said I ride bareback amazingly well and in the saddle too!
When he said that I smiled like crazy and said thnak you, but every time I go back and in think about that moment all over again, it just makes me so speechless!
And now that I think about it, my mom is the only person in my family who has ever really seen me ride!

Has this ever happened to any of you guys?
I would love to hear your stories on like, just any special moment that made you so happy and speechless.
I would love to hear any stories you have! :D

Registered
way back when, when I was 19, the son of the barn owner told me that I " had good hands". That meant soOoooooo much to me.

the truth is, I was on the road to good hands. I did not have good hands yet.

I am still on that road. the more you know, the longer the road gets.

Registered
^ditto what tiny said. I in no way, shape or form consider myself even half decent at riding. My trainer one time made the comment to some clients about me that I could ride anything she put me on and make it look good, and it was a pity I didn't show. I don't know if she was right (I don't think so) but it still means so much to have heard her say that and mean it. I might have a long road but hearing that made me think that I'm taking steps in the right directions.

Registered
Congratulations Amberly! I think I would still be on cloud 9 if I were you!

I have had very few moments of speechlessness, but there is one that always stands out. Its a bit long, but I will try to condense it.

Years ago, I was riding at a barn and was asked to bring a mare along to help sell her. While I was not overly fond or attracted to this mare, she quickly proved to be an absolute joy. She did everything I asked, and when not sure, waited to be asked again without getting ****y. The more I rode her and refined our "dance" the more I began to like this mare.

Without my knowing, someone who knew the BO (and owner of this mare) would watch us together. She told the owner that the mare was willing and hardworking with me, but she never saw that same try with the other riders . She told the BO that that mare had chosen me. The BO started to watch us more.

Finally the day came for me to show her to prospective buyers. I put her through her paces and she was fantastic, never missed a beat! The people, mother and daughter, that came to see her then took turns riding her. I couldn't bear to watch. My girl (yes that is how I was looking at her) hollowed out her back , stuck her nose in the air and looked the picture of misery.

After they left, the BO's daughter told me to come get the mare to put her up, and her mother wanted a word with me. The BO told me the mare was sold. I was heart broken, even though with a husband out of work and going to school full time I was in no position to buy her.

I asked when they were coming to get her. The BO told me she didn't sell the mare to them. Simply couldn't! To who then? To you! She told me the mare had shown that I was her rider, and she would keep her as long as needed till I could buy her. I was speechless, and for someone who keeps their emotions together, I could feel the tears spilling over my lashes.

And that is how T became my horse. They threw Walka into the deal, as they couldn't use him for speed events because of his deformity.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be awesome!
haha, and yes, I am still speechless about it! :) :)

Registered
Most of my moments of speechlessness come not from my own horrid riding, but from the compliments I get on my mare. I love when I see people's jaws drop when they find out she's a thoroughbred. She's the quietest horse I've ever ridden and we ride in pretty much every discipline as well as drill team and western pleasure. We have ribbons all over the place and people always ask me what bloodline she comes from. We they find out she's off the track some people even ask what I use to drug her lol!

Registered
forever ago when was learning to jump and was doing so at a trot my horse got excited and started to canter so I asked her to stop...or so I thought, in my shock from the canter I dropped a rein and picked it back up with out noticing it was way longer than the other rein so when I pulled back I really asked her to turn, which she did, very nicely I might add, I however did not turn. I landed on my feet and let go of the reins. My horse had gotten excited because another horse cantered by and that rider looped back around to make sure I was okay and apologize, she also added that I was "good at falling." strange as a compliment as it seemed I was falttered especially since it came from the barn's head coach

Registered

I have had very few moments of speechlessness, but there is one that always stands out. Its a bit long, but I will try to condense it.

Years ago, I was riding at a barn and was asked to bring a mare along to help sell her. While I was not overly fond or attracted to this mare, she quickly proved to be an absolute joy. She did everything I asked, and when not sure, waited to be asked again without getting ****y. The more I rode her and refined our "dance" the more I began to like this mare.

Without my knowing, someone who knew the BO (and owner of this mare) would watch us together. She told the owner that the mare was willing and hardworking with me, but she never saw that same try with the other riders . She told the BO that that mare had chosen me. The BO started to watch us more.

Finally the day came for me to show her to prospective buyers. I put her through her paces and she was fantastic, never missed a beat! The people, mother and daughter, that came to see her then took turns riding her. I couldn't bear to watch. My girl (yes that is how I was looking at her) hollowed out her back , stuck her nose in the air and looked the picture of misery.

After they left, the BO's daughter told me to come get the mare to put her up, and her mother wanted a word with me. The BO told me the mare was sold. I was heart broken, even though with a husband out of work and going to school full time I was in no position to buy her.

I asked when they were coming to get her. The BO told me she didn't sell the mare to them. Simply couldn't! To who then? To you! She told me the mare had shown that I was her rider, and she would keep her as long as needed till I could buy her. I was speechless, and for someone who keeps their emotions together, I could feel the tears spilling over my lashes.

And that is how T became my horse. They threw Walka into the deal, as they couldn't use him for speed events because of his deformity.

I genuinely cried. This is THE BEST story. Thank you for sharing, Walkamile!

Registered

That is a really cool story walka!!
I have never been given compliments on my riding, that I can think of. lol But I don't have much in the way of lessons or riding around others.
I just wanted to share that I ended up with my mare like you did, but it only took one ride! lol I was taking lessons, but got nervous with each new horse, the trainer wanted me to stop that, and had a level headed coming 3 yr old project mare she was selling who needed some more rides, so she figured she could put us together and take us trail riding for extra experience. I rode her once, not thinking twice about what I was doing, not nervous, nothing, and Sonata was very receptive to me, she said... so I tell my husband about how neat a horse she was, and start quietly crying as I talk (I DON'T cry, lol), he goes 'oh crap, we're getting a horse, aren't we?!' [same thing happened with one of our dogs a couple years previous, that connection I guess lol] I tell him 'no, we aren't ready'... then trainer texts me and says how good we were together, that she wouldn't ordinarily put a green rider and green horse together, but I had done great with her, that there was something there, that I had gotten her to do things she hadn't ever done without even thinking about it (nothing major, lol).... She was mine 3 days later! I took lessons for 6 months with Sonata and the trainer before we moved across the country, and now it is all she wrote! She is a mare, she is Appy, but she is my baby! :)

And congrats Amberly, that is really neat that your riding, especially bareback, stands out that much to someone so experienced!! I suck at bareback. And I am sure I will never win points with my 'Point A to Point B' style riding! :p

Registered
There were a few. I'll try to keep them short.

First was a time when I had my confidence shattered. I went from starting colts to petrified to even get on a broke horse, due to a series of bad accidents. I sold one of the horses that helped shatter my confidence(bad bucker) and went to look for a saddle horse that did not buck. That was my primary concern. I ended up with a spooky, abused, green half Arabian, that I didn't even test ride. I just connected some how. I was told she was nearly impossible to catch, even in a small pen, but from day 1 she ran right up to me. I was so scared of her, some days I would crawl on bareback, walk a few steps and get off. One day, shortly after I bought her, I was crouched down looking at something on the ground, while holding her lead, when I heard the sound of pounding hooves. Some rambunctious two year olds had galloped around the corner, straight for me. I looked up to find that my mare had side passed over me, so I was crouched under her belly, and had her ears pinned straight back. The two year olds saw her, and veered around. She stood motionless until I crawled out from under her.
I kept her for a few years, and we learned from each other. In the end, despite our connection, she loved the arena and I loved the trail, so we parted ways.

The second was a mare that I'm in love with currently, but don't own. I was at an auction when I saw a little bay qh mare jig into the ring. She was fighting the bit the whole way, prancing around. I was not in the market for a new horse, but something about her made me nudge my BO, and she bought her for cheap. I've disliked QH's for years, and this mare was one, through and through. Yet from the moment I got on her I was instantly comfortable. She had never been ridden out side of an arena, and she was capable of some pretty big spooks, but that didn't make me the least bit nervous. We just connected, in a way I rarely connect with a horse. Everyone was commenting on how well she works for me, how hard she tries compared to other people. Then one day I was out on a trail ride, at a good fast working trot, and we went to whip around a corner. I was leaning into the turn, and she spooked unexpectedly wide, throwing me out of the saddle(I rarely can be unseated by a spook). I some how flipped around, landing n my feet, as she slid to a stop beside me:shock: All 5 of the other riders just stared, speechless. I hopped on, and off we went.

Registered
I've had a few of those moments. The day I got my first horse, was my 11th bday. My friends had a horse trailer at my birthday party, claiming that they were transporting some donkeys (not unusual). Then they asked me if I wanted to go see the donkeys. There was a gorgeous 15.2 paint mare there, with a big fat bow on her neck. I couldn't talk. I actually started shaking, hyperventilating.

The most recent happened not long ago. I was actually going to put up a thread similar to this, only more based on how others have helped you in horsey journey. Anyway, I was living on Mississippi, doing a working student position but it just wasn't working out. Upon announcing my return home, I was flooded with job offers. An old teacher of mine told me she wanted to start up a small training program, and wanted me to run it, to help me continue my journey as a trainer. She has picked me up some clients and actually bought me 2 horses to train and sell. Then yesterday she tells me she is going to pay for me to spend a week at a clinic-camp thing this spring (which is $600) to help me continue my education. Overwhelmed, overjoyed, blessed, pretty much describes how I'm feeling. I will never understand why people have always done so much to help me, but I am so grateful, and can only hope that I will make them proud, and someday attempt to repay them for the opportunities I've been given.

Reactions: amberly

Registered
Carl L., was the organizer and head of the Illinois 7th Cavalry. Being a Veteranarian, he was able to get horses for the Unit, and they worked very hard at being the best of the best in our hobby during the 1980's-1990's. Still, he was visibly impressed with our horse, "Tyke", who was bombproof on the field, and impressive, as the horse we lent to our commander, and he had to ask where we got him, and how we trained him.
Still, yours is QUITE a coup!

Registered
A while back I was doubting my horsemanship skills. So I set up an appointment with my friend who does equine assisted therapy.

When I arrived we just talked while I worked with her horse. I put a halter on him, groomed him, rode him around for a bit. She didn't say much, she mostly just listened to me complain. At the end of the session, she asked if I would load her horse in the trailer for her - which I did without any problems.

Before she got in her truck she turned around and said "you just spent the entire hour telling me how you don't feel confident around horses, yet you managed to catch my stubborn horse, groom him, ride him and load him for me...I don't ask any of my other clients to do this much because I know they wouldn't be able to do it"...."LEARN TO TRUST YOURSELF" and she drove off....I was like "WOW"

Registered
I just got another. Thought of this thread. My very first official training client told me I was doing a wonderful job and said I handled horses with kindness, patience, and a sense of humor, and offered to write me a letter of recommendation for future clients... Yup I'm pretty much over the moon right now!

Reactions: amberly

Registered
One time that I was speechless was with a friend's 6 yr old App/arab that was behaving very badly so I took him for a few months to work with. he was coming along and my niece and I went to a show. I put him in a couple of classes Eng Eq one of them. When we went into the ring there I was in a class of 16 lovely tall bays, chestnuts etc. riding a loud coloured appy 14.1 h. He was very upset at being separated from his barn buddy and behaved badly, yelling and making a loud nuisance of himself. I was so embarrassed but kept riding. When we lined up after the class the Judge was approaching me and I just wanted to slink off to the exit in disgrace as I thought I was in for a lecture on behaviour. She told me that I had had the most difficult ride in the class but complimented me on my ride and said that I had lovely hands. They were announcing the winners but I wasn't listening, thinking I had placed about 20th out of 17. She said to me "aren't you going to get your ribbon?" I was first, talk about speechless!

Registered
I don't think I've ever gotten any compliments on my riding, but the closest one was the first time I had a lesson with my now trainer. She said, "Usually when people ride at home alone they pick up bad habits, but you don't have any!" I was pretty happy about that. :)

I usually just get compliments on my horse. Everyone thinks he's beautiful and they always ohh and ahhh over him. And he has a hideous donkey impression that he does...they don't see that though!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man, The person who complimented me on my bareback riding did it again! haha, it just makes me so happy :)
I was riding Brisco on the other side of the arena at a lope, stopping and turning him and doing full circles bareback again.
My mom told me later that when she, my sister and him were down at the gate and I was on the other side of the arena, B said to my mom and my sister "Man, she really is a great bareback rider."
And he is the type of person that you can tell by his voice how serious he is and such - like when he says it, his voice just sounds like amazed and stuff. I don't know how to explain it, but I hope you get what I mean.
But man, it just makes my heart skip a beat! :) Makes me so happy!!!!

Registered
40 years ago when I was 14 I was showing a gelding for a friend of mine.
We did very well in 2 of our classes but in WP the gelding decided to buck a little and he behavior disqualified us.
The Judge was the same in all the events and when calling out the winners in order of placement he discussed everyones strengths and weaknesses.
When he got to me he stated that he had watched me ride and I had the best seat of anyone showing that day.
That made my day and I still smile everytime I think of it. Shalom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.