The Horse Forum banner

4281 - 4299 of 4299 Posts

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,281
Yay, Drifting!

Well, bad news on my car. Front end is shot and it needs TWO fuels pumps, as well as a battery. $3k of work to get a $1500 car back on the road. Not worth it. And, I can't find a rim for my husband's truck anywhere at all.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,283
I can't win.

First the car is not fixable, so I sink all my money into fixing the truck. Can't get insurance on it until Tuesday and there's a new law in AZ that if you're caught without insurance, they impound the vehicle for 30 days, take your license, and arrest you. So, can't drive the truck now, especially not on a busy holiday weekend.

Then I had to go in at 1am to the hotel cuz there was an argument in a room and a dude shattered the window. He was arrested for criminal damage and I didn't get home until almost 4am.

Now, I had a housekeeper no-call-no-show, her number is locked in my office because I haven't had time to put it on the contact list, and all my other housekeepers are out of town for the weekend (except the two already working). So, I have to find a way in to work so I can go help the housekeepers on my day off.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Man, I go away and barely any updates huh? Drafty hope you heard from that other job.

Ireland was amazing!! We had 7 days of SUN and 69 degree temperatures. Thankfully I brought sunblock or i'd be a tomato!

My sister and I had a good time driving around and just seeing the sights. Really beautiful country.

Also, I got a tattoo while I was in Dublin. :D My first one, I've wanted a tattoo forever and was determined to get one as a souvenir.

I did get a cold the last day we were there, so I'm recovering from that. Went to see Stryder and the poor kid has a rotten case of a sunburn (even with a long nosed flymask on).

I don't want to go back to work tomorrrowww...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Welcome back Drifting! And we demand PICTURES!! :)

Not much to report here. I went back and looked and it seems that I made my offer on the house on April 19th- so, I have until June 19th-20th for them to give me an answer (I'm willing to give them more time, but I'm hoping they'll answer then). Everything looks good to go so far, we're just waiting on the lender and the loss mitigation company to hash out details. Many sources I've spoken to said that banks will usually take their time and work pretty much up until the last minute with an offer. But, they've gone ahead and marked the house as "pending" or "off market" on just about every single site online, so I'm taking that as a good sign that my offer will ultimately be accepted, plus or minus a few tweaks - which I'm hoping for, because I WANT OUT OF THIS FRIGGING APARTMENT! Right now I'm trapped because my roommate has his giant gang of drunken buddies over taking up the whole living room...again...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Dang, it's been quiet lately.

X-posted on the driving thread:

Finally got back into the cart after missing a week due to the weather not cooperating! It was very windy out and Bubba was acting a smidge nervous with the wind, so we took it easy. Lots of working on speed transitions, smoothness of the transition, and getting a feel for said transitions, as well as just generally keeping him going at the pace I set. He is definitely feeling out his limits with me still, so I am having to be on top of my corrections. Nothing mean, just "OK, what will she let me do?"

I learned how to do a 360-degree, I guess you would call it a pivot on one wheel (I have honestly been looking for the official term and I can't find it!) and I did pretty well for it being my first time.

It was also the first time I've driven with gloves, and I feel like it helped my rein handling a lot - the biothane reins tend to get my hands sweaty. My dad gave me a package of kid-skin gloves for Christmas and this is the first time I've gotten to use them.

Oh, and I had my first passenger- my instructor's 8 year old granddaughter asked to ride in the cart with me. She was a trip and kept telling me knock-knock jokes. About poop :lol:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Ugh Mule, that bank is taking forever!! I hope you hear something soon. Awesome about the driving.

I meant to put up some pictures a week ago but I am just getting around to going through some. I want to make one of those hard-cover picture books to put on my coffee table. I have one of Stryder that my friend gave me and I love it.

I loved the country side.. and ugh we had great weather.

In other news I'm like.. "Ok now what?!" I booked a trip to Boston to seem my Dad and a Redsox game. So now I'm working.. and just fiddle-farting around. I haven't even been working with Stryder, but I hate the heat and we're getting full swing into summer here. Maybe I need more hobbies :D

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,288
Beautiful pics, Drifting.

Not much going on here. Been feeling ridiculously depressed the last few days. Nothing is helping. Would you believe that this round of depression is brought to you by a stupid romance novel that I read on my day off? I suck.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
He's adorable. My friend bought him last year as a weanling for a future stud prospect, but he was a jerk with his testicles, so he got gelded this spring. He has calmed down a lot but he's been by himself, so he thinks he rules the roost. I can't wait till he meets the little POA that's out with Stryder. He'll teach him herd manners real quick.

I talked to my current BO and am switching to self-care, and I'll just buy round bales off her in the winter. I'm excited to get him with Stryder and into the big field, right now he's in a small paddock.

His name is Oberon and I'm debating if I"m going to keep it or not.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well summer has come to an end and back to the grind. Did not get nearly enough done with horses over the summer, but my 4yo daughter has really come into her own in the saddle, and that has been worth not riding my own horses.

My cur dog is coming 6mo and growing like a weed, hopefully I will throw him to the wolves (heifers) in the next 30days. Oddly enough, now that i have been raising a few bottle calves through summer, a wash-out bird dog has gone to baying and catching, which suits me since she hasn't looked at a quail in 2yrs.

Other than that i am finding that my friends with older kid might have been right and letting children be involved in multiple sports is a second job in its own. Shuffling my daughter between gymnastics softball and soccer is going to kill me!

Jim

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Not having fun playing taxi, Jimmy? Haha. I don't have any kids so I can't sympathize, but I am sure it gets tiring racing one from one place to another.

My mom came down this weekend and we had a great time. Went to a minor league baseball game and transferred Oberon (yearling) to the barn I board Stryder at. Stryder enjoys having a new chew toy. For more pictures you can check out Stryder's journal or the growing babies of 2012 thread.

Meanwhile, I know its summer and all but c'mon where is everyone? Drafty, I see you clicky-liky but no posty. Muleee where areee you... Hows house hunting? Lady Lark?
:smileynotebook: posty posty

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Drifting – I think we’ve had a temporary migration over to the Confessions thread, since it’s some daily chit-chat that moves pretty quickly. But I definitely want to keep this thread alive for the sake of having some thirty-something chit-chat. Congratulations on your new baby!!

Jimmy – Sounds like with the daughter, the pup, and the other dogs, you’ve had a good summer! Glad to see you back.

Well I’m still embroiled in buying this short sale. It’s taken the bank forever to give us all the changes they need, since they’ve been working up to the last minute for basically everything. I think I’m on my third extension at this point – but they’re pretty much saying this will be the last one (let us pray). So once they give their final approval, I can move forward with having the house inspected and appraised, getting financing, all the other various what-have-you.

It’s been hard just with waiting, but I’m almost ready to ask some people in my life “I can handle waiting, can YOU?” namely my parents. I know they’re trying to help, but dear god I feel like it’s been one fight after another with them. They keep wanting me to do things that just fly in the face of this whole process – yell at someone, talk to the newspaper (what this would accomplish, I have no idea), yell at my realtor, whatever. It’s all just shooting in the dark because they really have no idea what the process entails. I figure I’m 4 months in, I’ve got until February on my lease, and I have yet to find any other house in my price range that isn’t also a short sale/foreclosure (most of them in awful condition), or something in a super high-tax area, etc etc etc. I have looked, but I haven’t found anything that suits. I’m praying nothing is wrong with the inspection and I can get a move on with this thing finally.

My job is super-stressful right now – that’s pretty much all there is to it.

Horse-wise, I’ve “graduated” from the Haflingers up to the big draft horses, starting Thursday. I’m definitely excited! Hopefully I’ll be working with them until things either get too cold or it’s getting dark too early for me to take lessons for the season. I’m saving up for a trip to New Holland auction in the late fall (hopefully after this house crap is all said and done), and with any luck I’ll have my very own driving/riding horse. I keep going back and forth, but I may just say screw it and get a draft so I can ride over the winter.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Sounds like you have plenty of time for the house Mule, since your lease isn't up till February. Good luck, hope it doesn't take much longer. A girl at work is buying a short sale and still waiting on the bank, but she didn't start the process till May. I told her it might be awhile.

Thanks for pointing out that thread, I will go harass it :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a disease........ I am picking up a pair of beagle pups this evening.......

I have a 9yo nephew who is a slug, no one has ever made him work for anything and he is smart enough to have figured out how to milk the people around him for sympathy based on his parents ugly divorce. He has shown a little bit of interest in by bird dogs, but is very interested in rabbit hunting over beagles. I made him a deal that if he read the book "where the red fern grows" and discussed the book and how it applies to his situation, and came and helped me in the kennels 1-2 days a week based on his availability (due to the custody situation). I would buy a pair of beagles and teach him about dogs. He has full filled his part of the deal, and I am MORE than happy to pass on a lost tradition to another generation, while I wait for my own kids to grow.

Jim

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,298
I have a disease........ I am picking up a pair of beagle pups this evening.......

I have a 9yo nephew who is a slug, no one has ever made him work for anything and he is smart enough to have figured out how to milk the people around him for sympathy based on his parents ugly divorce. He has shown a little bit of interest in by bird dogs, but is very interested in rabbit hunting over beagles. I made him a deal that if he read the book "where the red fern grows" and discussed the book and how it applies to his situation, and came and helped me in the kennels 1-2 days a week based on his availability (due to the custody situation). I would buy a pair of beagles and teach him about dogs. He has full filled his part of the deal, and I am MORE than happy to pass on a lost tradition to another generation, while I wait for my own kids to grow.

Jim
You're a good uncle, Jim. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
@jimmyp - Good on you :) I think more kids out there need something to be responsible for, and a job to do rather than sympathy when hard times come about. It gives them a feeling of control over their own lives and destinies, and a sense that things will be OK even when bad stuff happens.

Not sure how many people saw it on the Confessions thread, depending on how the next week or so goes, I might be done with driving lessons for the year, because there MAY (not 100% sure yet) be an outbreak of Strangles in the barn. They've shut down all lessons and nobody is going in or out right now.

Along with the house still being in limbo, that buts the kibosh on any plans I had for horse shopping unless I can find a closer barn to where I'll be living that I can afford, if not one that I can drive or ride at over the winter. If the right horse for the right price comes along during that time, though, I'll figure something out- if not, just gives me more time to save up for a harness and cart. In the meantime, I'm going to hope for a negative test on Strangles so I can get back to driving as much as possible before I have no more daylight left after work!

4281 - 4299 of 4299 Posts