The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The basic principles of dressage?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ~*~anebel~*~ 
#1 · (Edited)
Since i was a child i can ride, i can't remember the first time! But ihave never done a competicion and no one has never teached me to ride. Everyone who sees me says i can be a very good dressage rider, but i dont know wich things are important in a dressage competicion. I meen like my and the horse's position, how to trot and galop perfectlly... "How to get the first price in a competicion" haha!
I hope you understand me and help me.
:)

oh! and if you know a good website were they explain things about dressage it can me very usefull.
Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum! :D

Here are a few web sites that I find helpful on theory and riding technique:

Classical Dressage Notebook - Putting Theory Into Practice

::: Sustainable Dressage - - Welcome to my Site about Sustainable Dressage! :::

The Art of Classical Riding--Dressage Training for Horse and Rider

And here's a good resource for actual tests, the patterns that are ridden and judged in a show situation:

Dressage Test Movements

If you're very interested in dressage riding, I also recommend finding a good instructor or coach in your area. The best way to learn is to have someone experienced on the ground to guide you.

#3 ·
Since i was a child i can ride, i can't remember the first time! But ihave never done a competicion and no one has never teached me to ride. Everyone who sees me says i can be a very good dressage rider, but i dont know wich things are important in a dressage competicion. I meen like my and the horse's position, how to trot and galop perfectlly... "How to get the first price in a competicion" haha!
I hope you understand me and help me.
:)
While competition gives you an idea of where you stack up against other people and SHOULD give you feedback of where you are in your training and where you may be lacking, it is in itself should not be the end result of riding in a more dressage purposeful manner.

The purpose first and foremost is to have the horse go in a way that is efficient for itself and in the carrying of weight (rider) to the least detriment to itself.

The problem is that it requires a level of maturity and sense of feeling of accomplishment having only gotten the slightest response in a positive way from the horse.

So THE most important thing (riding or competition) is patience.

A less talented rider willing to see each thing through and be patient (and understanding the nuances) will accomplish more on an average horse than a talented rider with no maturity or patience on a talented horse.

#4 ·
While competition gives you an idea of where you stack up against other people and SHOULD give you feedback of where you are in your training and where you may be lacking, it is in itself should not be the end result of riding in a more dressage purposeful manner.

The purpose first and foremost is to have the horse go in a way that is efficient for itself and in the carrying of weight (rider) to the least detriment to itself.

The problem is that it requires a level of maturity and sense of feeling of accomplishment having only gotten the slightest response in a positive way from the horse.

So THE most important thing (riding or competition) is patience.

A less talented rider willing to see each thing through and be patient (and understanding the nuances) will accomplish more on an average horse than a talented rider with no maturity or patience on a talented horse.
Amen! And when you put a rider with good understanding on a talented horse, then no one is going to touch you in the show ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.