The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just visited a stable today. The stable have nice 10x12 and 12x12 stalls. My mare and colt will get 10x12 and my gelding will get 12x12 since hes big. They will feed my senior mare - Purina senior feed, my gelding will get - Purina strategy and my colt will get Purina omolene 300. The owner said they will start small and increase to match their weight and nutrition needs. She have 10 acres pasture and 6 horses are already there. So it will be 9 horses in total if i moved mine. She said there will be round bale available all year around. The horses will eat in stall daily and be stalled when it is too cold or too hot or the weather is bad. They also have round pen to exercise the horses. They are trail riding barn.

They will take care of fly masking and fly spraying, but not the blanket changes during winter.

but the price for this service is $200 per horse and she gave me multiple horse discount so totaling $500 for all three.

I feel like it is too good to be true. Would you give that farm a chance if you were me?

Oh the horses is VERY healthy looking in there no skinny horses.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, I would go for it. I'm not sure how much profit they'd be making honestly but maybe that's just them and they don't realize how much they're really making? But then again it depends on how big your horses are, for 2 full grown drafts and a foal it would be going into the red for sure. Is the mare pretty small? And what about the size of the gelding? If you're anxious or worried, ask for references of the people who own the other horses and see if there are any previous tenants that left under good circumstances.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But then again it depends on how big your horses are, for 2 full grown drafts and a foal it would be going into the red for sure. Is the mare pretty small? And what about the size of the gelding?
My mare is 14.3 and she is a hard keeper needs good diet. My gelding is 15.2 but stocky and he is VERY VERY easy keeper since he don't require grain in his diet. My colt is very small compared to other QH colts of his age. I guess it might be because of his mother have him when shes 3 years old.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Is that what is offered in your area ? that would be a deal here! You can always try it, and if you are unhappy move. Be sure in the contract you have it specified as to what outside temp is considered to cold. Moving a horse into a barn when its hot is no better than leaving them out, as Long as they have free choice salt/mineral blocks and tubs of clean water . There had been a study done and the horses internal body temp was basically the same for horses with shade /stalled/and no shade As long as they had free access to salt and water.
10 acres for 9 horses will cause overgrazed pastures . If this is just for turnout purposes it could work, but remember there will be herd instincts, and there is always someone who is the whipping boy. If your horses get pushed around or beat up is there an alternative space for your horses ? Is your colt weaned ? what happens when it needs it own space ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that what is offered in your area ? that would be a deal here! You can always try it, and if you are unhappy move. Be sure in the contract you have it specified as to what outside temp is considered to cold. Moving a horse into a barn when its hot is no better than leaving them out, as Long as they have free choice salt/mineral blocks and tubs of clean water . There had been a study done and the horses internal body temp was basically the same for horses with shade /stalled/and no shade As long as they had free access to salt and water.
10 acres for 9 horses will cause overgrazed pastures . If this is just for turnout purposes it could work, but remember there will be herd instincts, and there is always someone who is the whipping boy. If your horses get pushed around or beat up is there an alternative space for your horses ? Is your colt weaned ? what happens when it needs it own space ?

Well my gelding and colt is pink skinned, so they needs to be stalled when the UV rays is too high to avoid sunburn. My colt is 1 year old now. The barn owner said if she noticed my horses being beaten up; she would split up the field to separate horses into their herd. They also have 1 acre of dry lot for horse in need of separation

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I would be skeptical that a barn could provide that for $500. Think about it. How many bags of feed would that be? At just 3# of feed per horse per day, at $20 a bag (most feed starts at that price), $120 off the top goes to just feed. What about hay? Even if you grow your own it still cost you to water, fertilize, cut and bale. How many bags of shavings? That could easily be another $50. Big stalls use more shavings. Are they buying the fly spray too? I figure that every horse on my property incurs a $100 fee just for being here (pasture board). What that covers is water, electricity, upkeep and repairs, new sand in the arena, gas in the farm truck, tractor repairs, my time, garbage, spoilage, new and replacement equipment... It's a never ending list of expenses that most boarders don't even consider. If they can do it and even break even, more power to them. Get specifics. How many # of grain, how many bags of shavings (when do stalls get stripped and rebedded?), who pays for repairs when your horse goes through the fence...

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Well my gelding and colt is pink skinned, so they needs to be stalled when the UV rays is too high to avoid sunburn. My colt is 1 year old now. The barn owner said if she noticed my horses being beaten up; she would split up the field to separate horses into their herd. They also have 1 acre of dry lot for horse in need of separation
Are you having your colt gelded ? or is he already gelded ?he should be away from his Mom since he is a year old. I would not allow a year old intact colt in with any mare.
Where are you going to put him when he is gelded ? are you going to be allowed to have him in a seperate space until he is healed enough to defend himself?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You're right, it does sound too good to be true but if I found a place like that I'd jump on it anyway! Do read the boarding contract carefully though.
I have done full care boarding in the past and despite the promises it didn't turn out as great as expected. The main thing that bothered me was that the BO had 5 horses of her own, made hay on her own fields and guess which horses got the good hay and which ones were fed the junk? She was so dumb she didn't think anyone would notice.
Go for it but spend a lot of time out there, arrive un-announced a lot and make sure your horses really are getting the feed and care that was promised!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Honestly, it doesn't sound as great as everyone is saying to me. I wouldn't board at a place that doesn't have any arenas, and I think the price here reflects that. But that's something that is important to me. If it's not important to you (you did mention it being a trail riding barn) then I would say go for it. As someone else said, you can always move if you are unhappy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.